We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lechon (Roasted Pig) anywhere in San Juan?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lechon (Roasted Pig) anywhere in San Juan?

I heard a town called Guavate is well known for its lechon, but I am not sure if I would have time to head down there from San Juan. I like trying bizarre foods and buying from food vendors on the streets because of local flair.

How far is Guavate from San Juan, any buses can take me there for a day? If not buses then how much would a taxi cost? Also place in San Juan that does lechon?

puerto rico
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lechon (Roasted Pig) anywhere in San Juan?

Guavate is about 1 hour plus depending on time you travel. it is a long street that winds its way up into the mountains in cayey area. simple to drive to from san juan and i imagine alot more expensive to go by cab.

the weekends are hopping there but weekdays a bit more slooooow.

the big thing on weekends is many shops/resturants have pigs on spit in front and other local treats.

there are many spots throughout the island and san juan that sell lechon..but not the same as that spot for a scene. there is one in the plaza in santurce as well which is a festive spot on evenings thursday-sunday.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lechon (Roasted Pig) anywhere in San Juan?

Although roasted pig on the stake can not a "bizarre" food, but typical, the best one can be tried at Guavate area in the town of Cayey. In San Juan area, you may try lechon asao at Varita Restaurant

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lechon (Roasted Pig) anywhere in San Juan?

x3 on what other have said...

It's worth the drive, you will not regret it. We went on Sunday in the early afternoon and the place a jam packed. For us it want not only the food but also the atmosphere. Live music, watch cool motorcycles and modified off-trucks, riders on atv's and people watch. Cool place to hang out and have a few drinks..

Have fun..

4. Re: Lechon (Roasted Pig) anywhere in San Juan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 27, 2010