We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

Houston
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

We are planning on going in May 2009...unfortunately we already booked our plane tickets and such before I started reading about the growing crime rate. Should my family be concerned?

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

I am a frequent traveler to Puerto Rico. I also spend time in Miami, Atlanta, and Fort Lauderdale. I feel safer in Puerto Rico, than any of the other mentioned places. Many crimes are drug related, and are in every city. The people of Puerto Rico appreciate the tourists, and watch out for them. Use the normal precautions that you would at home---lock your car, leave items in the trunk and not the seats, be aware of your surroundings, and you will have a wonderful vacation. A smile and a thank you will go a long way there.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

Huh? Puerto Rico does not have a very high crime rate compared to other States. San Juan which is over a million in population has a lower crime rate than Houston. Most crime is drug related or petty theft and does not occur in the tourist areas. Use common sense as you would at home. You will be fine. Understand Puerto Rico is the size of Conneticut. When you get away from San Juan it becomes rural.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
ma
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

You will be safe in PR. I was there last year and going again in February and I felt very safe. I would walk to the store or go to the beach myself but I probably would not go out after dark by myself. use the same caution you would at home. I would not walk the streets at night back in Boston by myself either.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
ma
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

You will be safe in PR. I was there last year and going again in February and I felt very safe. I would walk to the store or go to the beach myself but I probably would not go out after dark by myself. use the same caution you would at home. I would not walk the streets at night back in Boston by myself either.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

My wife and I are non-PR and have lived here for 5 years with no concerns to our safety.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

I've been twice, once in Rio Grande area and then in Isle Verde. We never had a problem, found people very friendly and a lot safer than a few other islands.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Grande
Rio Grande
Puerto Rico
Georgia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

As others have said, just use common sense (locking car doors, not leaving valuables in your car, etc) like you would anywhere.

We are leaving in April for our third trip to Puerto Rico. We first went in '05 and LOVED it. When we first went, my son was a year old and I felt completely safe having my baby there. It is a slice of heaven! People are friendly, so go and enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

The "growing crime rate" is probably the high murder rate we had this year (the news made all the papers).

But these are not random crimes- they are mostly drug related.

Violent crime against tourists is very uncommon.

Stay away from the drug scene and you don't have too much to worry about.

Houston
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

Thank you all for your response! I feel so much better. Our family will enjoy, especially my 7-year old twins who have never been out of Texas! This will be their first plane trip.

ma
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it Safe to Travel to Puerto Rico in 2009?

Hey mrc21, I was in Houston not to long ago! great place. I went to the ballpark to see the Yankees and Houston play. You and your family will be fine in PR and you will have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX