We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fajardo’s Bioluminescent Lagoon

Groveland...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fajardo’s Bioluminescent Lagoon

I would like to take my 6 and 7 year old kids on this trip. They are very comfortable with the water and have been canoeing before, but never kayaking. We would obviously get the two person kayaks. Just wondering if anyone else has done this trip with young children and how it was. Thanks.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fajardo’s Bioluminescent Lagoon

If they are ok with canoes, they will be fine with these kayaks.

I believe the age minimum is 6 yrs old. Kids usually go in front of the kayak, with an adult or the guide in the back.

Just be prepared, you will be doing 99% of the work to manuever the kayak!

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fajardo’s Bioluminescent Lagoon

I agree with Flowerfarm. Also you have to make sure that your kids are comfortable with darkness and that they know how to swim. The first part of the trip to the lagoon you have to kayak trough the sea, then through a narrow dark passage and then into the bay. It will be dark and rowing against the water current. You won't have flashlights, only the guide.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fajardo’s Bioluminescent Lagoon

Agreed. Getting through the narrow inlet through the mangroves can be a little daunting. Especially if you don't have experience in a kayak.

And there will be iguanas jumping out of the trees and into the water (not into your kayak!), which could startle the kids.

Take a look at the photo that accompanies this article. It will give you a good idea of the path that you'll take to kayak into Laguana Grande ... puertoricodaytrips.com/laguna-grande-fajardo…

Weston
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Fajardo’s Bioluminescent Lagoon

I've done the trip with my two daughters and they loved it. They had no previous kayaking experience nor my wife and they all had a once in a lifetime experience. HIGHLY recommend it.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
612 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fajardo’s Bioluminescent Lagoon

This was originally posted in January of this year so I wonder if the OP ended up going on this trip with the kids. We did this trip a few weeks ago and IMHO, I would have had a very difficult time doing the main paddling. Like many women, I don't have a lot of upper arm strength, and I was very glad to have my husband paddling for both of us. It's not that it's really, really hard, but there was a good twenty minutes each way of steady paddling. BTW, we own a canoe and I have experience with canoes and kayaks.

6. Re: Fajardo’s Bioluminescent Lagoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, November 01, 2009