We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
64 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

this may be a little last minute but my husband and i are taking our first trip to PR tomorrow. we're so excited and i'm determined to find places for good mofongo, mallorcas and roast pig (not at the same restaurant, obviously). we're staying 2 nights at the rio mar and 2 nights at the hilton caribe. any recommendations are appreciated!!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

Let me address your need for roast pig by repeating directions I have posted before. I recommend you do this while staying at the caribe Hilton because it is a much shorter drive to Guavate than from Rio Mar.

To get to Guavate, head South on Route 52. Go past Caguas towards Cayey (and Ponce), keep on 52. As you approach Cayey, Guavate's exit will come up on your right. Go down that exit and turn left at the end of the ramp (road 184). Turn left, drive under PR52 and start going uphill towards lechon heaven. You will soon come to the first of many "lechoneras", called El Mojito. That one is OK, I've eaten there many times. However, if you can be patient and keep going on this road for another few miles, you will reach the Lechon Center of the World, several outstanding lechoneras side by side and on both sides of the road (El Nuevo Rancho is one of them). All of them are good.

From San Juan, this should be about a 45 min. drive.

For the mallorcas, go to La Mallorquina in Old San Juan for an early breakfast. Actually, you might combine a "light" breakfast at La Mallorquina (a mallorca and coffee) with a hearty roast pig lunch in Guavate. If you get to Guavate just before noon, you should avoid the big lines and get the most out of your day.

Enjoy Paradise!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

Well said, ParadiseBoy!

The food in Guavate is the BEST!!! Don't forget to try the arroz con gandules and tostones.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

...and try to get there before 5:00 p.m. when most of the food runs out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
294 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

We followed ParadiseBoy's directions to El Nuevo Rancho during our trip last month and they were spot-on - believe me, it was WELL worth the drive! (Thanks, PB!) We got there about 12:30, and driving out, we saw a loooong line of cars coming up the hill. Timing is everything…by getting there early, we beat the crowd and the food was at its freshest.

Another place I'd recommend for mallorcas is La Bombonera in OSJ. And you have to see the coffee maker - it looks like a mad scientist designed it in his garage.

As for mofongo, well, so much mofongo, so little time! I can't say I've had one I didn't like. A couple of places stand out in my mind…Latin Star Café, on main drag in Condado, and Bebo's on the eastern edge of Condado, a block or two off the main street. But I think my favorite was at a restaurant called El Vigio, which is a bit of the usual tourist path, but convenient if you drive to the Bacardi factory.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

I must stand corrected!! Thanks jasubar for the catch. When I said La Mallorquina before I was really thinking about La Bombonera. It sounds a bit odd but La Bombonera IS the place for the best mallorcas. As a matter of fact, La Mallorquina is a restaurant in OSJ which I don't think sell mallorcas!

And regarding mofongos, which I resisted talking about earlier, I feel compelled to say that indeed there are many places that serve pretty good mofongo. However, for hard core, true mofongo connoseiurs, the place that has been consistently recognized by locals as the absolute best mofongo is El Guateque in Cupey. Most locals know how to get there, but it is a little difficult to explain to visitors.

Enjoy Paradise!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
294 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

And I have to make a correction to my own post...

I meant to say El Vigio is OFF the tourist path, not OF the tourist path. Changes the meaning a little!

Seattle
Level Contributor
318 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

Hey Jasubar~

Thanks for the correction. In that particular sentence, it changes the meaning ALOT. "A bit of the tourist path" makes me want to avoid a place, as where "a bit off the tourist path" piques my interest!

Thanks!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

i had mofongo for the first time in my life at ritchie's, just up the hill from the rio mar.

i liked it. a lot. i had the fried pork mofongo with garlic sauce. that sauce was amazing!

but since it's the only time i've had mofongo...i can't compare it to anything....but it tasted good to me!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

La Mallorquina is a restaurant in Old San Juan.

Cafeteria Mallorca is a small place in the same street as La Bombonera with great breakfast and lunch specials, excellent coffee and off course, Mallorcas, I like it better than La Bombonera, is not that touristy.

10. Re: Mofongo, mallorcas, and roast pig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 21, 2009