We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

I am trying to decide between visiting Playa santa and staying

in a condo right on the beach there or going to Rincon and staying in a villa right across from Tamboo. Both have a pool which was a big requirement.

I think the rincon house will hae the better view but I have a 5 year old

and am interested in nice beach too. We could take day trips to beaches but I am wondering how nice is Playa Santa. Is it a must see? How is that area? Interesting? beautiful? boring?

(I have stayed in Rincon several times so am familiar with that area)

thanks a mil

Nancy

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

I personally like Rincon much better, but Playa Santa is kinda nice... smaller, more regional type of ambiance, more local tourism. It is pretty, but Rincon is prettier. It is not really a must see if you're at Rincon, unless you want to explore. Playa Santa would be the best beach in the southern part of PR. Copamarina is nice beach too, not as nice as Playa Santa, but it has a nice resort and you can go to Gilligan's, a small island 10 minutes away. You might like that better then Playa Santa.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

Playa Santa has a nice beach. Lots of locals visit it. Close to that are the dry forrest, the salt flats and a nice bay where manatees are frequently seen. Gilligan's island was closed for repairs after hurricane Dean's tides broke it's dock and damaged the boat that takes people there. Gilligan's real name is Cayo Aurora- You can rent a little boat and ride along the coast, litle cays way up to Lajas. There are lots of little restaurants who sell seafood that are worth trying.

if you go to that area, make sure you try the cornmeal and corned beef empanadillas typical of that area. They are GREEEEEAT!

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

The area is nice, the isle of Jiligan is close by. You can find turquoise clear blue water.

West Windsor, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

Hi there - read your post on TripAdvisor and wondered if you could answer my question.

We are planning a trip to Playa Santa for this coming feb - andafter all wondering if you did stay there - and if you did - can you recommend a place to stay?

last year we stayed at the Copamarina and loved it.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

N&Y

Sabana Grande
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

Manglillo is near there also and is less crowded, the water is clear if you arrive early, you can see fishes and the coastline have mangroves is really nice. The entrance cost 1 dollar per person ( the time we went there we enter free since my friend go there all the time and the guy that charge you in the entrance know him, there was like 15 persons in our group) im not good with directions and my english dont help me much but manglillo is not far from playa santa, you can ask a security guard or someone for directions in that condo at playa santa.

hope someone can be more helpful because my english aint that good :P

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

I don't know when are you planing to come to P. R., but for the past weeks their have been oil spills in the south west side. Nobody knows where the oil is coming from, but last week they even found more oil. So right now there is a clean up going on in that area

West Windsor, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

Wow - that is really a shame - those beaches are some of the most pristine we've ever seen. We took a look at the newsarticles and the folks doing the clean-up say that the oil is "weathered" (whatever that means!) and they are raking it up and picking it up in 'blobs'.

We weren't planning to travel til Feb, and will continue to monitor the situation there via newsposts.

We hope for the sake of the residents and the wildlife that this is not lasting daamge.

West Windsor, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

I just realized that no one wrote back with the names of any accomodations in Playa Santa itself - any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

N&Y

apopka, FL
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

Try Playa Santa Guest House. Don't have their number, sorry.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Santa - Guanica - is it nice?

Playa Santa Apartments (787) 821-2245