We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Shop Local

Metro...
6 posts
How to Shop Local

Hello. I'm traveling to Puerto Rico the first week of December 2018. Due to a pre-existing RCI membership, I'm lodging at Palmas del Mar. Since my lodgings include a kitchen, I will need groceries. I'd like my vacation dollars spent to stay on the island rather than going, say, to Bentonville, Arkansas, so I'm wondering what the options are to shop local for groceries on the eastern side of the island. Are there any Puerto Rico-based grocery stores or store chains, or should I expect to make multiple stops in an effort to find locally-owned meat markets, bakeries, the farmer's market, and so on?

My geographic focus for this is probably going to be centered on Humacao, but I'm willing to drive a little further if it helps out a local entrepreneur rather than a multinational conglomerate.

Your help in this is greatly appreciated.

2 replies to this topic
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,804 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: How to Shop Local

There's a Ralph supermarket very close to Palmas. Other local chains are Econo and Supermax.

Freshmart is an option for organic food. There is one in Caguas, not sure if there is one in Humacao.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: How to Shop Local

There is also a Pueblo supermarket off the airport, it is also local.

Supermax and Selectos are good local chains.

Reply to: How to Shop Local
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted