We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue mountains

East Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Blue mountains

Liz,

:)

Sorry about that. I was playing on words: meter "running"-cool "runnings"--Yes, I was aware that there are no metered taxis in Jamaica--but your comment is sound as I reckon there are many vistors who think "life works the same everywhere."

I was at Borders the other day and found a guide that mentioned Whitfield as a place to overnight--you had mentioned that as well. I will mark this on my itinerary. It looks like a good place to start and get a guide.

Although a season away, your advice is helping me focus on a plan.

East Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue mountains

July 28: Returned from Jamaica 2 days ago. Here is an outline of my trip:

7/16: Fly into MoBay. Check into Ochi hotel. Secure taxi for next day.

7/17: Taxi to Section--Road is washed out. Begin hiking. Hike from Section around Sir John's Peak, over to Westphalia. Set up canopy behind school for the night.

7/18: Hike down through Green River Valley, up to PenLyne to Whitehouse. Rest. Hike Jacob's Ladder to Portland Gap. Set up canopy off trail for the next 5 nights.

7/19: Lat start. Start hike up to peak at 2:00PM. Make it half way until clouds come over. Go down to Gap for the day/night.

7/20: Begin hike at 2:00AM. Make it to peak at 4:10AM. Lay down in bag to await sunrise. 4:20AM, storm clouds and distant lightning coming toward peak. Quickly hike down to gap by 5:30AM. Rain all day.

7/21: Begin hike up to peak at 2:30AM. Trail is slippery. Make it to peak around 5:00AM. Cloud cover. No sun, but I enjoy the time being on the mountain alone for the third straight day/night. Hike down to gap 5:50AM. Weather clears up--see first hikers since 7/18.

Sleep last night at Gap.

7/22: Hike down to Whitefiled Lodge for the day and night.

7/23: Hike down to PenLyne Castle bus stop. Catch 8AM bus down to Papine. Take taxi to downtown Kingston bus stop. Catch bus to Ochi. Make it to Ochi by 1:00PM. Check into hotel.

7/24: Go home

Anyone interested in details of trip or specifics of the hike feel free to e-mail me.

2. Re: Blue mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 06, 2009