We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Hotel Review

somers point, nj
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GBP Hotel Review

So I guess TA has deceided to only post good reviews about this hotel as I was there from January 6 - 8 (left due to problems) and posted my review on the 15th but it still has not shown. I now see that one posted later than mine is now up. I did write to TA but they responded with a generic e-mail and did not adress why my review and pictures have not been posted. Consumer beware, TA is not on the up and up. They apparently are deceptive and sneaky! Anyone think GBP is paying them to do damage control?

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP Hotel Review

Hi amy7399,

I'm not sure what's going on but it is really strange as other hotels have have had good and bad reviews.

Yet I'm sure many have now been to the GBP but there have not been any recent reviews until today.

Have you viewed any other travel sites?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP Hotel Review

Amy,

Weird but two reviews, in English, showed up this morning. One review was dated 1/23 and gave high marks. The other review was dated 1/8 and gave a 1 rating. So it really does seem the bad rated reviews are taking MUCH longer to post than the good reviews for some reason.

New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP Hotel Review

Hi guys,

I'm too sure if you guys are checking all the post correctly- I posted my review a couple of days ago which reads as follows:

I visited GBP on Jan. 12th - Jan 20th- despite all the negative reviews I read on Trip Advisor, my trip was absolutely WONDERFUL!

I decided to travel to GBP as a birthday present to myself, I booked my travel through Cheap Caribbean (CC) which offered the best deal on this new property. Just to note when booking through CC I encourage everyone to purchase the Golden Upgrade, it just makes life a little easier if you have any special request at the hotel.

Upon my arrival at the airport I was able to easily connect to the Tropical Tours shuttle bus once clearing Customs. I highly encourage all to have at least one hundred dollars in U.S. single dollar bills for tipping purposes; if you use the Red Cap Service at the airport they charge you the customary $1.00 US per bag, the tour bus driver also has a sign on the bus stating tipping is appreciated, and if you decide to book any day tour excursions, it will be suggested for you to tip. In addition, it is customary although not mandatory for you to tip the bartenders and service staff at the hotel.

The bus ride to the hotel is a little over an hour, there is major road construction for the first 1/2 hour, which overall is a great economic development sign that Jamaica is on the rise!

Upon arrival at the hotel, check-in was less than 10 minutes and when I entered my room, which was beautiful and clean, I was surprised to see the hotel had made a birthday cake for me and left a bottle of champagne - very Class A service wouldn't you say?

As I settled in over the next few days, I discovered this Class A service was unlimited in terms of staff professionalism - everyone (managers and service staff) were EXTREMELY polite, gracious, and helpful in answering my questions. I would say they only two sore points at the hotel was the first beach area, near the pool area, is a gravel cove, there is NO SAND, it's great if you want to go lay on the beach chairs to read or take an afternoon nap, but it is not for walking or swimming - the second beach was was much nicer and sandy. My second downer was at the time, there was no U.S. cash machine on site- talk about a bummer! I was in desperate need of U.S. cash and I was told the nearest machine was in Ochos Rios!!! Maybe I'm spoiled from being in city where machines are within less than a quarter mile raidus, but an on-site cash machine is a major service for hotels to provide for its guest. GBP is all inclusive, however I needed extra cash on hand for shopping and tipping- I was not comfortable using J dollars and most people prefer to be paid in U.S.- since it has a stronger value.

As far as the hotel, everything was VERY CLEAN- I didn't see any Rats or any creepy crawler related species.

There is construction going on around the property, however it is in NOT INTRUSIVE NOR IS IT DISTURBING. The hotel it appears has gone to great extremes of keeping things as quiet as possible as not to disturb guest.

* I would also like to specifically note-

"People this a brand new hotel. It is not fully operational in all of it's services, (Kid's club and Seafood Restaurant) however, what is available is great. I'm amazed on how some people expect to get Ritz Carlton hotel service and accomodations from a hotel that is not fully operational. Everything is not going to be perfect YET, and I commend Gran Bahia Principe' in informing guest there is still ongoing work. If you are the kind of person who feels ENTITLED to be accomodated in a certain manner- this hotel is not for you. Personally, I was extremely annoyed by those who felt a need to complain about something not being available. I tell you as I told them, GET OVER IT! Besides when the hotel is finally completed most of those who visited will not be able to afford the full price so be grateful you can now visit at a deeply discounted price! "

By the way, it is a family fun environment, by nature children are lovers of water, all the kids I saw were having an AWESOME TIME!

Now, where was I?

Service: there was definitely a limited number of daily towels, however I just ended up taking them off the housekeepers cart in the hallway.

Also if you don't want to be awakened at 9:00am, be sure to put your DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door at night- if you're a partier like I am, there is nothing fabulous about being awakened at this ungodly hour on Holiday.

Restaurant Reservations: The Japanese Restaurant and the Grill are my Top Two favorites. There is a bit of wheeling and dealing to get reservations so try to make reservations everyday before 4:00pm or make them all in one day after you check-in, especially if you are traveling with 4 or more people.

In summary, as a woman traveling alone, I felt extremely safe ( I would go swimming in the pool on most nights at 3:00am by myself- there is a guard in the pool area) and I met TONS of people from all over the world. The pool area, the main hotel bar in the evening, the Jazz on the terrace ( from 5:30pm until 8:00pm), and the Jamming in the square were my daily fun highlights. There is no airconditoning in the disco, however it's Jamaica and you need to dance in the outdoor promenade square where I definitely got my Jam on!!

On final note, lots of bug spray is needed, the Mosquitos are terrible at night and a bottle of Tylenol aspirin...whew talk about hangovers- just awesome!!!!

See ya!

Kekemr

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP Hotel Review

Hi kekemr,

I believe I already read your review but the point is that it is not in the review section like many others, because they have not been posted like yours or it's something to do with TA .

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP Hotel Review

I've counted 9 new reviews added today for the GBP!

6. Re: GBP Hotel Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 21, 2009