We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

Hello,

I am staying at the JRB in a couple of weeks, and was worried about everyone complaining about the waterpark being overcrowded on several occasions in the same week due to the resort allowing too many outside guests (other hotel guests and locals).(from reviews on TA)

Has anyone experienced the same situation? Is it even safe to allow such a big crowd in at the same time?

How often does it happen in the same week?

Thanks

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

The resort keeps track as to occupancy of the resort and allows "water park only" guest sales based on that. They have rules and guidelines to follow regarding capacity. We have actually met some very nice locals who were on "daycation" at the water park.

Relax, enjoy

Cocotel251

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

We really enjoyed meeting several very nice locals. And our kids loved talking with the local kids, and learning a lot of stuff about life in Jamaica. The waterpark never felt overcrowded.

Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

I think some posters have to have something to moan about and it would seem that the water park is an easy target

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

As Cocotel said, entrance to the waterpark on a day pass, are only given based on the resorts current occupancy numbers, and have to be booked in advance. Safety at the resort is always a top priority. Yes, they do have school partys who visit in large groups, and yes, the children are very excited and could be classed as noisy. For a lot of these children, a visit here is an absolute luxury and the first time they've encountered water slides etc. To see the smiles on their faces is priceless and worth far more than the thought of complaining about it! During a recent visit, my friend and I were in the park and over 100 school children came in. Did we leave? No, we just carried on doing our own thing. The kids weren't rude, just boisterous.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

I find it amazing when people complain about "locals" being allowed in. I don't think they even think about what they are saying - do you know any water parks back home in Canada/US/wherever that do not let "locals" in??? Ridiculous complaint!

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

Hear! Hear!@Dreaming

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

Hello Everyone,

My concern is not wether they allow locals in, for all I care they can allow locals, tourists and even aliens (lol).

My concern has to do with enough lifeguards and if it is safe to allow that many people in at once.

Of course locals should be able to go to a waterpark in their own country, however not when it comprises safety.

Reviews on TA suggest that the Jewel is allowing way too many guest in the waterpark for extra profit, regardless if they are tourists or locals (last review I read on TA said that they dropped off 4 bus loads of kids with no supervision and I quote they called it a 'MADHOUSE').

Thanks

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

Hello John,

I have plenty of lifeguards and they are situated in the appropriate site lines to watch and control all areas. this is not just at the waterpark but also at our three other pools as well as the beach. The poster has underlying issues which professionalism would not allow me to mention on this site. As I mentioned there are times when schools will bring a trip or professional companies such as yellow pages and other organizations will bring an employee trip and they will stand out. Were the kids boisterous, absolutely as most kids are however no different from Disney or Universal, and they are here for a few hours. Today is Teachers day and I will have a number teachers in house mixed with a Disney Cruise ship. My occupancy is 80 % and with the extra persons would have brought be up to a hundred percent. Besides the 4 lunch restaurants that are open I have put a Jamaican Buffet at the Grill, We have our waterpark restaurant open, our buffet open our Pizza restaurant open and then we are opening our Japanese restaurant with stirfry and salads and another buffet in our platinum restaurant just to be sure. We have the three pools, the waterpark, the red ruby ranch with lazer tag and archery and petting area, the great beach, kids club and two game room areas. I am sorry that this one woman made your nervous and it is her prerogative to have her opinion.

regards,

Scott from JRB

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

I miss Teacher Day in Jamaica! It's usually my last weekend and a great party at Aqua Sol beach park!

I was shocked to hear about a negative review as families on here love JRB!

Nice clarification Scott!

PEACE!

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewel Runaway bay waterpark situation

In terms of safety, I think Scott's response to one of the reviews said the capacity for the waterpark is around 1000 and they don't even let half that in...so don't think it is a safety issue...