We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum on da plane?

calgary
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rum on da plane?

How many bottles are you allowed to take back with you? Are you allowed to carry on a case back and pay duty in Canada. Two years ago we did this from JA to Calgary. Then it was NO PROBLEM, MON!

Should I dare call Air Transat and ask?

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum on da plane?

With all the new regulations regarding liquid on planes, this could be a touchy subject. I haven't flown since October, but they wouldn't let me bring anything in my carry on luggage aside from some under 2 oz bottles. I usually smuggle back a few bottles in my check luggage and carry on the maximum duty free amount and I've never had a problem. I'm not sure how much you're allowed in Canada, but I assume it's a few bottles. If you want to be completely legit though, just declare what you have and pay the duty on any overage...I think it's only like 10% but again I'm not sure so you might want to check into it. I'm sure other posters will have more accurate info!

Newmarket, Ontario
Level Contributor
154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum on da plane?

I would check your air carrier's website, usually they describe this stuff, you should also double check your flight number and time.

Usually, you can also prebook a seat of your choice for a small fee.

Cheers

NetwerkinGuy

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum on da plane?

Try checking with Canadian Air Transport Security at www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/ wrt carry on. I don't know about maximum amounts, but you are only able to carry on what is purchased at duty free -- anything else must be checked.

As for how much you can take back while paying duty and tax check with Canada Border Services Agency at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.

calgary
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum on da plane?

Thx guys for the imput and the link!!

I'll have a rum punch on ya in 19 more sleeps

Newmarket, Ontario
Level Contributor
154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum on da plane?

I'll have rum punch on me in about 12 days!

Cheers,

NetwerkinGuy

DE
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum on da plane?

Just came back to the States via Air Jamaica with six liters (three adults).

Duty free is past security at MoBay airport, so that didn't come into play.

Ringwood, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum on da plane?

A UK view - but I have no insight on Canadia rules. I saw ads in Ocho Rios for 3 bottles of rum for 20US$. These would not be duty free, hence if imported into the UK there is no limit as customs limits only apply to items bought duty free. Thus the constraint is really the practical one of how much you can carry. Current rules are only one carry-on bag per person - though I did not see how rigidly this was being enforced My wife and I got hooked on rum cream so only brought back 2 bottles between us, bought at the airport duty free and put inside our carry-on bag to be safe.

8. Re: Rum on da plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 24, 2009