We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon,Saskatchew...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

Yes, for those of you out there needing to be reassured that the resort is up and running, it truly is.

Sure there are some glitches as with any new resort, you don't expect things to be perfect the first few days of business. We were one of the first to arrive on Dec.21. Our room had some minor problems, the AC wasn't working for the first 1/2 hr. until we realized the patio door has a sensor on it and unless the door is closed and the handle turned downwards the AC doesn't kick on......did any of you staying there realize that little trick?? The jacuzzi tub didn't work, not a big deal for us. The maid service was slow, there were plenty of them but they seemed to be walking in circles, (not trained well enough, but that will come, by the 3rd day they were knocking on our door at 9am to get things cleaned. The mini-bar was stocked daily, can't complain there.

We had 1/2 day of no hot H2O, who cares, we got up and headed for breakfast at the buffet then off to the beach and pool area (beautiful large pools) plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas, (only 1 swim up bar operating) good strong drinks, pool activities include aquacise, water volleyball, dancing lessons, massages. Ya the palm trees and vegetation is small but what do you expect, this is a new resort. The beach is man made and the side which has the gazebo is nicer than the larger beach which hosts the water sports.(the snack bar on that side was not open) although there was sandwiches and beer, water available from this area. Snorkeling, kayakking, catamaran, paddle boats all available here. Beach Volleyball, lots of shade to place one of the hundreds of lounge chairs under. Water situation fixed by the time we went back to our room, so that was about 3hrs. later.

There is alot of security on this resort, every entrance was being staffed by security guards as well as the beach areas. Everyone very friendly even the workers on the grounds saying hello to us, these people are very easy to be around.

Dining-ORQUIDEA REATAURANT( the buffet restaurant ) open 7:00-10:30am. 1:00-3:30p.m., then again 7:30-10:30 there is lots of food and plenty of room, good service although we did get tired of buffet.

DON PABLO RESTAURANT -a la carte open in the evenings (reservations)

MIKADO RESTAURANT-Japenese (reservations).

THE GRILL RESTAURANT- open in the evening (reservations)and offering food 1:00-5:30, lighter items. We found this to be plenty for us.

The theatre was not open yet. The lobby lounge is beautiful as is the foyer, it is like a palace, there is marble floors, pillars and ceramic tile everywhere you go, lots of lush tropical plants .Shopping area is a quaint little market square finished on the outside but only had about 5 shops open for business, there will be many more once finished . This was the gathering place for the nightly entertainment, there is a disco there but not in use yet.

We went on excursions 2 of the days so enjoyed the Jamaican people and what they have to offer, " no problem mon ",

I definitely believe the resort needs a few more weeks to be totally functional and the problems worked out but like others on the forum have stated I went to Jamaica to enjoy the climate, the people, the Caribbean and I definitely can play tennis and go to the gym (not open) at home when an Oasis like this awaits me in JAMAICA.

Maybe we were just one of the luckier ones but I guess it's all in the expectations. Have a good vacation as we would go back tomorrow and we just got home last nite, the 28th.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

Buny,

I'm glad you had a great time and that their werent too many issues. An excellent review, you were factual showing both positives and negatives and I appreciate your comments.

I will be there Jan 6, so I am glad that I kept my reservation at GBP.

Welcome back to snowy Canada

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

Hi bunyuk,

Thanks for your honest and well written review, and will you be going back?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

Thanks for your honest review. Things don't sound as bad as posted earlier, but I am still relieved we switched out. If i was scheduled for a later date than Jan 5 your review would be music to my ears. All of those that opted to stay must be breathing a sigh of relief. I hope eveyone enjoys their vacations, especially the other couple celebrating their honeymoon. Congrats!

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

PS.

Sorry, when I said: "will you be going back" I meant to the GBP?

Saskatoon,Saskatchew...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

westmoreland

definitely would stay there again, pocketbook drained for this season though. Maybe next winter, but for now it is snowy & cold Saskatchewan.

anymore questions I can answer about the GBP? I would be happy to if I can.

Enjoy

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

Hi Bunyuk,

So happy - it sound like you had a great vacation. We are also going to GBP in March. We are holding out hope that by then the glitches will, for the most part, be worked out. I have a very specific question for you though... if you would take the time to answer it. On the Bahia Principe website, when you go to the Gran Bahia Principe in Jamaica and go to photo gallery... about the 8th picture - there is a picture of a beach kind of in the distance with palpayas for shade and trees and mountains in the background. Is this beach part of the hotel beach area, or is there only the crescent shaped beach area that they show in its entirety? I have been really curious about the answer to this - so if you could offer any insight you may have it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you again for your review. I think Westmoreland asked you as well... Would you go back?

Bresmom

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

Bunyuk,

We were booked for Jan. 5 for our honeymoon. In all honesty, was the resort somewhere you would want to spend your honeymoon?

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

I am very happy to read your review, we go on january 12th. I am thinking positive. As long as the pool is good and the drinks are plenty I think it will be great. I feel very relieved now.

Thanks for the positive outlook

Sandra

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

bunyuk,

Thanks for your reply, what excursions did you do?

How are people coping with children, whats available?

Happy for you that you dealt with things in a positive way.

burlington,ontario
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I just got home from the GBP in Runaway Bay

Have you been to other GBP resorts, if so where? If you have, do they compare to one another? Also, do you think people will be happy with their choice when they get there or should they switch?

Thanks in advance.