We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Please post a thread for your starfish pictures ASAP, I am seriously considering booking with them

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k90199…

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Travel,

You can also go to the reviews and click on the pictures of Starfish that others have taken. They are exactly as the resort looks. Having said that and after reading your other posts I think you might be much happier in Negril since a nice beach is important to you. Don't get me wrong, Starfish has a wonderul beach. You were expecting to go to a 5 star resort and Starfish isn't, it is a 3 star with 5 star grounds. Also, if you're leaving soon there will be a lot of children at Starfish, don't know if that would bother you or not. I've stayed there 3 times, the most recent was last month. I love it there and have made friends with several locals. However, I would probably be disappointed if I was going after having been booked at a 5 star resort. They do however have working a/c screens on doors, running water, etc.

Good luck with your search and again, please do not let GBP ruin your perception of Jamaica.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Krim,

Not too much into kids. I looked more into Starfish and seems a little below my recent travel experiences. I also have to choose from what CC will be offering in a similar price range I paid. I do not mind spending a couple hundred dollars more for a better hotel but Negril 5 stars will run about $1,500-$2,000 more. I am not ready to pay that much more.

It looks at the moment that it will have to be between Riu Ocho Rios and Sunset Jamaica Grand. I know that this would not be the choice of true Jamaica conosseurs, but I am bound not only by travel agency's offerings but a time frame as well. My vacation has been approved by my company, my husband made arrangements in his business so we are stuck with 1/27-2/3. Eventually, I will venture for something more authentic and true to the island's character. Right now I just want a relaxing vacation with air-conditioning.

I can't beleive that they are still selling this crap as a 5-star exclusive resort on every travel website!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Sunset Jamaica Grande seems to have a lot of fans. We haven't been, so I can't comment. Riu is newer but is much larger.

I know you don't mind the larger resorts, maybe Riu is for you.

Too Far North
Level Contributor
324 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

I just went to Starfish in November '06 and loved every thing about it there. I am not really into spending thousands of $$ of a vacation so this was economical, great food and GREAT BEACH. Not crowded, staff wonderful and would go back in a heartbeat!

We surely got our money's worth in spite of not having children travel with us.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Hi tf,

Do keep in mind that the "star" ratings really are somewhat subjective and can often be quite misleading.

As an example, some evaluators rate Sunset Beach in Mobay as low as 2.5 stars and some as high as 4.5 stars...

I think most accurately I'd rate SJG as a 3.5-4 star, ROR as a 4 star, and Starfish or Sunset Beach as 3.5 star. Resorts like Couples, Breezes, Sandals Whitehouse are more 4 to 4.5 star typically and resorts like wr mentioned (GL, RH etc) are the closest to 5 star.

Personally, although you might not feel the same way... one thing that is quite important to me is that the property offers a lot of local food, local artwork, and has a lot of "Jamaican feel" overall and the riu's just don't "do it" for me.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Chicago, Illinois...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Steve....

Thank you for all your are doing helping out us poor souls who got hooked into this GBP fiasco....

I have been watching for a week about what has been happening and was getting pretty upset......

Yours and several others have been so kind to share your knowledge about the ISLAND and the many resorts... ( I was overwhelmed with all the choices)

I too have contacted CC and talked with Kristen who was very sympathetic and helpful.....

I took the offer to go to Starfish since I decided I didn't want to travel to Ocho Rios. I was upgraded to an Oceanview room and feel good about what I am looking forward to instead of GBP

Blessings on you and all the others (you know who you are)

A fellow Ex-Montrealer

Richard

PS anyone else escaping from GBP going to Starfish Jan 15-19

I will be the WHITER than White Canuck with White hair and White Goatee (say that three times fast LOL) unless I make it to one of those fake tan beds before I go.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Greetings Richard! ( Go Habs !!! )

Starfish is not a "luxury" resort, but I am quite confident that you will be more than happy with your decision! Since you are only there four days, I suggest you be sure to enjoy at least one meal at the Casblanca restaurant, it's a fabulous upscale dining experience that you would never in a million years expect at a moderate resort!

Blessings and respect to you, Enjoy.

Steve

Chicago, Illinois...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

Steve...

Would I be correct in my thinking that Jan 15-Jan19 there may not be as many kids at Starfish since Christmas Vacation is over and school has started up again?

What does your experience tell you about this?

Resectfully

Richard

10. Re: steve - please post your starfish pictures ASAP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, August 21, 2009