We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

There is a group of 19 of us heading Jamaica in November, 4 kids 3 - 8 the rest are adults, we are looking at the Gran Bahia Principe, we are thinking of upgrading to Golden or Diamond depending on the carrier we use, Any opionions on the value, are the rooms closer to the beach area, also is there snorkeling off the beach, are water shoes needed, it is a big decision for 19 people

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13,432 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

Do you have the time to consider the Jewel Runaway Bay?

In my book, it is a better resort for several reasons: fully renovated in 2013, has a brand new waterpark, staff is guest focused, fabulous natural beach, adjacent public beach with a local pub (Flavours) on it for a change of pace, not a mega-resort. Most importantly, the GM, Scott, is dedicated to having your holiday exceed your expectations.

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
2. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

I will take a look at it, we have not booked yet, waiting for prices to drop a bit

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

I just booked GBP today as the price got to within $50 of where I had set my budget.

Try Sunquest, the package was significantly lower than others and the times for the AC flights out of TO were the best we have seen.

This will be my 4th visit in 2 years, definitely upgrade. Your safe is free, beach towels are in your room, you get an extra dinner reservation, room service, better view, and a few other perks make the nominal cost well worth it.

You do not need water shoes.

Feel free to message me and/or check out my 3 very comprehensive reviews.

This resort is not without issues, but it is priced accordingly, and food is top notch.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

Agree with Theresa.

I think Bahia is perfect for groups - Diamond/Golden would be worth it for the free safe, and if a la carte dinners are important to you it would be well worth it.

I did not use water shoes here as most of the beach is nice and sandy. As with anywhere, the ocean does have a few rocks!

There is lots of space for everyone to do what they want, or you can all be together. Everything we tried in the buffet/a la cartes was wonderful and there are items for children or picky eaters as well!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
443 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

thank you so much, the price just dropped for the day we want to depart, we are trying to get everyone info so we can book today, we will plan to upgrade to Diamond for all of us,

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

Diamond is definately worth the extra cost.

You'll have a great time! :)

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

I justgot back from grand bahia and was the wasnt that great, pay the extra and go to Jewel you wont regret it.

Food wasnt that great, we also had issues with some barmen miserable and the booze was watered down.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
143 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

Gran Bahia was a blast for us, beautiful beach and fun pool. Large group would have a good time there in my opinion. The only problem I found is that food, specifically dinner, was not good, so I would agree with above poster. Golden club is good enough if you can swing it, rooms had good view.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
443 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

thanks, we are hoping to book this week

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Gran Bahia Runaway Bay

I just booked yesterday, family of 5 with 3 boys aged 15 to early 20's going 1st week of July. I upgraded to Golden in hopes of a better room location. I have read that building 18 is good; however, also read that there is construction going on and I'm not sure what area that is affecting. Any insight would be helpful. Does anyone know about MoBay arrivals at 4PM on a Sunday, do I need the Arrival Pass? Are the beds comfy? Some of the reviews lately have been so-so, I hope I made the right decision for my family. Thanks!