We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Hi Guys

My family (me, my hubby and 2 boys...ages 12 and 16) have been seriously thinking of the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica for Feb 2007. Earlier this year, we travelled to the GBP in the Mayan Riveria...wow, I was very impressed! I am a very picky person who expects first class treatment and we definately got it there.

My agent has only heard wonderful things about the GBP in Jamaica so far and it hasn't even opened. She normally steers her clients away from brand new resorts, as they are often working out the kinks in the staff and resort...but she is very excited to send us there this year.

My husband and I have been going through all the properties in Jamaica and so far we haven't been too impressed. The beaches don't look that great, the resorts look even worse. We're agonizing whether to try this new GBP or just forget it and go back to the GBP in the Mayan.

Has anyone been down to Jamaica lately and seen what this new resort is going to be like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lildevil_lady

Jamaica W.I.
Level Contributor
608 posts
21. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

@ Westmoreland

have you heard the latest news about Bahia Principe?

well, the permit was granted for phase 1---------734 rooms, now Bahia Principe advertises 757roomds and folks are questioneing ?????????what is the truth,

read that only 250 rooms will be ready for the opening in Dec. so anybody going there will see, that the construction site is still in operation, you can send a mail.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
22. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Hi myisland,

Thanks for the update, even if they say 250 rooms will be ready do you think all 250 will be ready for December?

When you say send mail do you mean to you or them?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,463 posts
75 reviews
23. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Another vote for Half Moon - great for families and exceptional service. Lots and lots of space, a long beach for walking, a calm cove beach for swimming and sailing, golf, horseback riding, numerous restaurants, and lots of charm. You can get a villa there too if you like.

Round Hill and Tryall are others to consider, though I don't think the beaches are nearly as nice in other respects you are close to 5* at them.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
3 reviews
24. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Does anybody have any official information on the Gran Bahia Principe in Jamaica?

Bresmom

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
25. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

bresmom,

What official information are you looking for considering I have posted official reports from the Jamaican newspapers and those living on island have reported back as above?

Jamaica W.I.
Level Contributor
608 posts
26. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

@ Westmoreland,

I meant to me,

use the yahoo addy, that one defenetly works.

Jamaica W.I.
Level Contributor
608 posts
27. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

@ Westmoreland,

I meant to me,

use the yahoo addy, that one defenetly works.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
3 reviews
28. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

westmoreland,

Do you have any more recent or firsthand information? I find there is alot of speculations being made. And yes, I have been checking the Jamaican news stories on the internet with various newspapers, however, there hasn't been much recent information or updates.

I guess I am appealing to someone like myisland, who, is actually able to provide firsthand information, as I believe she/he is able to actually view the hotel site.

If information is not able to be provided, I guess I will be the one with firsthand information when I return from my trip to the Gran Bahia Principe in March! At that time I hope to ease the mind of other worried travellers.

Bresmom

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
29. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

bresmom

If you think I and others have made speculations that's up to you.

My intentions is to give worried travellers the information I get from first handers as I don't think my sources would lie.

I will continue to give information like others, be it first hand, research or newspaper reports.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
30. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

P.S.

Including my own personal knowledge and experience