We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Hi Guys

My family (me, my hubby and 2 boys...ages 12 and 16) have been seriously thinking of the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica for Feb 2007. Earlier this year, we travelled to the GBP in the Mayan Riveria...wow, I was very impressed! I am a very picky person who expects first class treatment and we definately got it there.

My agent has only heard wonderful things about the GBP in Jamaica so far and it hasn't even opened. She normally steers her clients away from brand new resorts, as they are often working out the kinks in the staff and resort...but she is very excited to send us there this year.

My husband and I have been going through all the properties in Jamaica and so far we haven't been too impressed. The beaches don't look that great, the resorts look even worse. We're agonizing whether to try this new GBP or just forget it and go back to the GBP in the Mayan.

Has anyone been down to Jamaica lately and seen what this new resort is going to be like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lildevil_lady

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Hi Lildevil_lady,

It's very sad to read that your TA is saying all this about the hotel considering all that has happened already in regards to it's construction.

I strongly advise you that Febuary is far to early to promise you the first class service you are looking for and what you have clearly become accustomed to.

When it is finished I'm sure or at least hope it will be fine but I think you will be taking a risk if your looking for 5 star at that time.

How soon are you hoping to book?

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Hi again,

Here is two threads making it a bit clearer what I mean by the above:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k73026…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147317-i178-k7675…

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Don't go here!!! -And Jamaica does have some great resorts that are not oversized-I recommend Grand Lido Negril and Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios. But if the oversized developments are your preference then by all means!!

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Anyway if all is as said, I would seriously wonder about your agent...

If your perception so far is that "the beaches don't look that great and the resorts look even worse", I would venture to say that your "taste" and my "taste" are quite different. ( Unless of course you've only focussed on the few resorts around the Ochi area (where the beaches are far from the "best" and the majority of resort are several decades old... )

I would guess that """IF""" this resort opens next year at all, it will be many months delayed at best...

I suggest you look at other options.

Steve

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

TAs are getting excited about Principe because, like Sandals, it's one of the few whose commissions are more than paltry. Money always talks, even outside Jamaica.

Sunday/16th September's 'Gleaner' has more stories on

Principe, the very kind of megadevelopment that has despoiled

the Mexican coast and the DR is finally being seriously questioned about doing the same in Jamaica.

If you're a picky person, be picky as well as to your selection of responsible, sustainable tourism hotels and development.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Here is today's update:

Quarrel over hotel land

published: Sunday | September 17, 2006

"The Bahia Príncipe hotel now under construction at Pear Tree Bottom in St. Ann is facing a major legal challenge. .........................."

jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/…news1.html

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Thanks everyone for the info. The last thing I want to do, is pay $8000 (CAN) for my family and I to stay in a construction zone. My travel agent (who is also a friend) would definately not put me there just because of commission, thus I'm sure she is unaware of the real problems his resort has encountered. We were ready to book it this week...so I'm very happy that I wrote in to enquire.

So now it's back to square one....where do we go? The location is not a huge factor but the pools, beaches, weather (of course), choice in dining and nightly entertainment are. We are not snobs, but prefer a true 5 star resort. We have looked at the Sunset and it really isn't our taste. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be in Jamaica...but somewhere warm for the first week in Feb.

Thanks Guys

Lildevil_lady

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

to meet your requirements Grand Lido Negril.

There are many places that are as nice or nicer but they are not that type of resort. Like the Caves, Rockhouse, etc.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,308 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

Hello Lildevil_lady,

http://www.jamaicainn.com

The best small resort hotel in Ocho Rios, JAM

Here is my idea of a fantastic resort that I hope you will consider for your future visit to Jamaica.

Have fun!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Prinicpe Jamaica

The Grand Lido is an adults only resort....I've got a 12 and 16 year old....ugh!!