We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

Are there safes in the room? If so how large and what kind?

Big enough for a laptop, eletronic or key? Thanks!!!

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

I know that there is safes in the room.

I just talked to my sister and she said that probally not big enough to put a laptop in. We have one of those portable DVD players, and she said they would fit. She stayed there last year.

Also, she doesnt know what kind they are.

When are you going to the Starfish??? We head about Mar11-18

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

There are safes in all the rooms, although they won't be large enough for a laptop. You recieve the key when you check in, but don't lose it...the hotel will charge you an obscene amount to open and rekey it. When are you going? We just returned a week ago, if you have any other questions, just ask! Our experience was generally very positive!

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

Yes there are safes. It will be in the closet. And, it uses a key. Make sure you get two keys at the front desk when you get the lock. I would guess the size to be maybe 8" deep by 12-14" long.

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

Wazmo

I was wondering if you could tell me if you know the prices of say the jet-skis, or the other "pay" actitivties?

Thanks a bunch

we are going on mar11

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

Sorry, don't know about the jet ski's. I believe I read on here where someone said they were around $45US/hour. Not sure though.

According to the Starfish brochure circus workshop lessons = $10; trampoline clinic = $7; I think rock climbing is $5.

Winnipeg, CANADA
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

Re: additional costs at Starfish

I was at Starfish in 2000, and went back this January. However, due to the additional costs/ fees, we will not return.

We feel due to the additional costs, Starfish is no longer an all-inclusive. For example, all the brochures, official websites, etc, advise that only "motorized water sports activities have additional fees. This is simply not true. A 'boogie-board' (small styrofoam board) is not motorized, however there is a $10 fee to use one. (as well, they cost $8 at Walmart to buy). As well, $5 to climb a fake rock wall is also not necessary.

We were outraged to have to pay $2 for a bingo card, which is a daily activity !

Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

We are going down March 14-18. I know places charge an obscene amount of money for losing the safe key, because my husband has lost 2!!! That's why I was hoping it was electronic!! I'm thinking about making my kids leave their laptop at home. No DVD's on the plane, but I don't like to leave anything of value even locked in the suitcase anywhere I go. Some places in the US have safes made for laptops, so that's why I was wondering.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

Sorry nakeddog that you weren't happy with Starfish. The term "all-inclusive" can vary by definition from resort to resort. Obviously, if you were not satisfied with Starfish then by all means find a different resort for your next trip to Jamaica. The choices are so many that I know you can be very happy at another.

Personally, I feel the brochure is pretty accurate with their information. There is no mention of boogie boards or bingo cards much less any cost for the above. I also think $5 is a small price to pay to climb the rock. It must be 20' feet high and everyone seemed to be enjoying it the two times we were there last year.

Finally, you have to look at the price we pay for Starfish. This isn't a Grand Lido nor is intended to be (or we would be paying considerably more $).

I still say RC153 you will have a great time there. You get a very reasonable price without having to pay for things you might not use or want. This way YOU get to select the extras you may want, if any.

Winnipeg, CANADA
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

I somewhat agree Cqshot....however....

According to numerous staff members who spoke in confidence, they also admitted that the resort was receiving 'too many' complaints due to extra fees. In fact, they are in jeopardy of losing their 'SuperClubs' affiliation, due to this issue.

While it is true that the term "all-inclusive" may vary slightly from resort to resort, the flavor of such a resort remains the same. I do not believe it is anyone's belief that they should get for free what a resort pays for (i.e.: gas for Jetskis).

In speaking to a number of Trelawny/ Starfish returnees, they advise they will not return (some on their 12th visit !). The idea to them was to not have to dish out wet money from their bathing suits, and not have 'little-Jimmy' tugging on their leg for another couple bucks to climb a rock wall that has been paid for many times.

Nobody could ever equate Starfish to the Ritz - or any other resort for that matter. However, when the staff themselves acknowledge that additional fees are nothing more than a money grab, guests cannot help but feel alienated.

I believe there will be one of the follwoing changes soon:

1) reduced additional fees at Starish, or

2) drop the SuperClubs affiliation, or

3) new management

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starfish - Are there safes in the rooms?

I 100% agree with the statement above!!!!

RC153

when are going mar 11-18. We will see you there? who are you going with?