We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft

Lisbon, New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Theft

Have stayed at JRB on a couple of occasions without incident and looking to book a return for this year. Recent reviews speak of theft in rooms which is contrary to our perception of this resort....No answer from management on some of the reviews detailing the thefts. Anyone have any info? We really would like to go back but are having second thoughts.

Chukka Caribbean Adventures
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Pablo Tours Jamaica
Eco Tours, City Tours
Julious Tours Jamaica
River Rafting & Tubing, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft

Haven't read the reviews, but theft can and does happen at a lot of resorts. Not on a regular basis, but it does happen. And it's not always staff who is doing the stealing, sometimes it's other guests. And then there are the people who have too much to drink, lay items down and forget where they put them and then claim they were stolen.

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
531 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft

If there is a theft, I would assume that you are talking about theft inside your locked room. If that is the case, know that some workers, the maid and the person that refills your fridge for example, do have keys. The keys are card keys and this is computerized. Your card key is designated as yours/guest, and each worker with access has a card that is designated as theirs. If there were a theft, the resort can easily find out which worker(s) accessed your room and when.

With that said, JRB is still a very safe place. But you have to always ensure your doors are locked and your valuables are stored in the provided safe.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft

copy of what was said:

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Jewel Runaway Bay....The weather was perfect, the beach is gorgeous, the food and drinks were great, the staff was extremely nice (Andre aka Superman, EggBoi, Toeik, Shannese, Ojay, Sparkle were all great!) funny and accommodating. The spa was wonderful and we had a great couples massage (can't remember their names) however; we returned to our room one day to find our safe open and $300 cash missing! We contacted hotel security and filed a report -- we were told that the resort would investigate our statement and get back to us. Investigation came back that several staff members had entered our room in a time frame of 4 hours (approx.10:30am -1:20pm), yet when we had returned to the room on the day in question, our room had NOT been made up yet, nor had the fridge been stocked. We were also told, based on the resort's database, that our safe had been opened twice at 6:30am (we were sleeping) and had not been opened again until 8:30 that night. We also met with the local police to give a statement, etc as the hotel manager told us that they had interviewed all staff members that entered our room and searched their lockers etc. The police then said that THEY wanted to investigate why staff members entered our room, but never made it up, etc.... When we checked out nothing had been resolved; we were given the contact info for the resort's insurance company and were told that we had to follow-up with them directly.

The entire situation is very disappointing and unfortunate because we loved the resort; however, we can not recommend it to any of our friends, family or tripadvisor browsers as it is not safe.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft

Something about that story just doesn't sound right.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,801 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft

If the safe is electronic (and it sounds like it), that means that there is a master code that some of the staff knows about.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft

Does not sound right at all. Purhaps it was a "family" misscomunication and rather than responding to the review and imbarrassing any parties, management chose to let sleeping dogs lye. Just be careful not to leave valuables laying out in the open as with any hotel or resort you would stay in.

I have been to this resort many times and never had a problem in the least.

Enjoy

Edited: 12:47 pm, March 18, 2014
Sioux Falls,South...
Level Contributor
218 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft

Well here is my take lobstafella, Anything is possible.... but in my opinion unlikely, I can only speak from my own personal experience and I have nothing but positive to say when it comes to the Jewel. We have stayed with the Jewel 8 times now since they have opened between both JDR and JRB resorts and in May we are staying at JPC. I have never had an issue and I have always felt the staff and management took security very seriously. I am not sure how one individual would open the safe because one time I put in a wrong code and it took the Manager on duty and another person from maintenance if I remember correctly to open the safe. It was not a quick deal because they have procedures in place for this very reason. As you said yourself, your perception is this is a safe place and I think if there was an issue it would be posted all over this board. I was not there so I don't know if someone is trying to get one over on the Jewel but I know I would not hesitate to go back in a second.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft

During college I worked as Loss Prevention/Security for a tourist resort in Orlando and handled many guest claims regarding items "stolen" from their room. Like most resorts these days, the door locks and the safe locks were electronic and we could get a read out showing every key that opened a door or safe as well as the date and time that the door was opened. About 90% or more of all "stolen" property reports were accompanied by an accusation against the hosuekeeper. And, about 90+% of the time I would get later (sometimes days and weeks later) get a call from the complaining guest apologizing and informing me that they found the "stolen" item. I think of about 50 or so complaints over a 2 year period that I handled, there was one complaint that actually had merit and the housekeeper involved was fired, arrested and charged with a crime.

My point being is that folks tend to misplace things and then immediately jump to a conclusion that their hosuekeeper is a thief. Also, if someone other than a guest opened a safe, the hotel would be able to find the culprit failry easily.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theft

Bingo.

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
531 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theft

I love Bingo but missed it during my last stay. Next time!

BTW, my wife misplaces things all the time and always tries to blame someone else for it. Usually me. Rum stops her from realizing that the other 4 fingers are pointing towards her...