We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips or recent experience on the WestJet Sunday 7:30pm arrival from Toronto? I'm specifically wondering - how busy is the airport, and what are the lines like at that time. Also JPC supplies the transfer - is it a long wait? are there many people going out to Runaway Bay at that time?

Any tips to help us navigate are appreciated!

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
529 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Planes will, pending unexpected delays, land around the same time week after week - same flight number and more. You can use this link to see what it looks like for the day you are arriving:

http://www.mbjairport.com/arrivals

If your arrival day is a Sunday, for example, there is no later flight after that until 1.5 hours later. That would mean that you would be leaving shortly after you board the bus - you may wait for others on your plane, but no one else.

I think most people would try to get in as early as possible so that they make the most of their vacation, but there is only so much you can do if the airlines do not cooperate!

If you are concerned about getting stuck in line at the airport, google 'Club Mobay'. It is a for fee service that will get you to the head of the line and more. Good if there are a few flights landing at the same time and you want to get on the road quickly.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Thanks Bill.

Yes, we are trying to decide if the Club Mobay arrival is worthwhile for that arrival time. If the lines aren't long, and the shuttle is leaving as soon as our plane passengers are loaded, then it may not be worth it. But if there are already lines from a previous plane, or the shuttle departure is delayed, then maybe it is... So I was wondering if someone who had recently taken that flight had any info on what it was like.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Debbie: a 7:30 pm arrival on a Sunday....I would say you won't need Club MoBay. I think you will be fine. It's usually the 1pm-3pm arrivals that are hit hardest by plane traffic. But as we all say, it's a crap shoot so if you can afford the extra $ for your peace of mind, then go for it! Nothing about this is a guarantee...

We took Westjet for the earlier arrival and it was bedlam...late landing (1pm turned into 2pm) due to weather over Miami. It's all about mother nature.

Edited: 9:43 pm, January 26, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Hi Debbie,

It sounds like we'll be on the same flight coming in from Toronto. This will be our fifth trip to Jamaica and have never found the lineups to be overly long on arrival they seem to get you through customs pretty quickly never once have we gotten through and not had to wait for our luggage...departure is another thing you may want to use Club Mobay on your return.

If we're lucky we may get to the resort in time to see the last minute of the Super Bowl

United States
Level Contributor
12,049 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

"I'm specifically wondering - how busy is the airport, and what are the lines like at that time"

The airport will be empty at that time of day. Most flights arrive before 4PM. As stated above, most people want to arrive as early as possible in the day. The busy time of day is from about 1PM to about 3PM. After that there are very few arrivals. Lines at immigration will be short if they exist at all.

"are there many people going out to Runaway Bay at that time?"

There are few people going to any town on the island at that hour.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Thanks everyone. That gives me a good picture of what to expect at that time, if things are running on schedule.

Want2Dive - what resort are you heading to?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Hi Debbie,

We're also going to the Jewel Paradise Cove, our plan was to return to Jewel Runaway Bay this year but couldn't pass on the price offered for the JPC, I hope it stands up to the great reviews it's been getting. If you're flying in from Saskatchewan Sunday morning you might want to check out the lounge at Toronto Terminal 3 if your looking for a light snack and a few drinks, we used it last year and plan on using it again this year.

torontopearson.com/en/…

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

That looks interesting. Good tip. Are the snacks and drinks complementary once you pay to get in, or are they for purchase? I think we will hold off on pre-purchase, since you never know how flights will go, and we may not have as long a layover as planned...

We pre-booked Row 7 seats on the MBJ flight (which, BTW, seems to be full - no more tickets available) . See you there - we can "car pool" to the resort (haha). The resort said just to go to Desk 21, and they would arrange the transfer. So we'll see how many end up on our shuttle.

...can't wait....can't wait...can't wait...

Edited: 2:52 pm, January 29, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Hi Debbie,

Light snacks and drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic are included. Google...Plaza Premium Lounge you may find a discount with your tour operator or carrier...West Jet offers one if you check in before 10:am. You can get a discount if you use your air miles card when you check in at the lounge www.plaza-network.com/promotion_detail…

Have a safe flight...will see you Sunday :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arrival experience: Sunday 7:30pm going to Runaway JPC

Hi Debbie

Sorry, I misread the coupon for Plaza Premium Lounge offered by West Jet you can use the coupon if you check in after 10:00am. It looks like you can also get a discount in Montego Bay at the Mobay Lounge with your West Jet boarding pass.

westjet.com/guest/…lounges.shtml

Edited: 10:10 am, January 30, 2014