We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newmarket, Ontario
Level Contributor
155 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

Hello all,

I am off to Jamaica for the first time and will be staying at Grand Bahia Runaway Bay in the Diamond Club. It seems there is a difference between having Gold and the Don Pablo upgrade...however would the Diamond Club be the equivalent of Don Pablo? Is there 3 tiers? It is somewhat confusing, although I am sure Diamond will be fine....

Also is there any nightlife in and around GBP? It would be nice to go to a bigger place off resort for a few drinks. If there is a club on site how busy does it get normally?

Also, how safe is it to partake in the Jamaican traditions? Is it possible to buy and smoke in relative safety? I don't know if anybody else has seen Locked Up Abroad...lol.

Any other tips would be appreciated regarding fun excursions...haven't had a chance to look into them much yet.

Thanks all! :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

Here is the list of privileges for the DP upgrade:

 Privileged location- To all Don Pablo Collection Junior suites

 A private lounge exclusive to Luxury Don Pablo Collection guests(Games and books)

 Welcome Letter and distinct identification bracelet

 Exclusive reception: Separate Check In/Check out and welcome drink

 Safety box included for the Luxury Don Pablo Collection guests.

 Private access to the Luxury Don Pablo Collection and Guest Services with direct phone line to concierge desk from 08:00 am to 11:00 pm

 Access to the Daily Newspapers and free print press in the Luxury Don Pablo Collection Lounge.

 Free Internet access in the lounge for half an hour each day (time can be extended if available).

 Private Pool Area and Pool bar with Premium Beverages and waiter service in Sun beds.

 Private Beach Area with waiter service in Sun beds

 Unlimited pre-booked guaranteed reservations for the “a la carte” dining.

 Coffee maker in room.

 Mini bar stock daily including snack and alcoholic beverages

 24-Hour room service ( light menu )

 Don Pablo Collection amenities

 Bathrobes and slippers in room.

 Private Lounge with bar services, premium beverages and Butler Services.

 Beach towels in room (On arrival)

 Housekeeping courtesies and Turn- Down Service

 20% discount on spa services

 Late checkout based on availability

 Express Checkout (In an effort to ensure a smooth checkout process please feel free to do your express checkout at the main Front desk before 9:30 pm the night before departure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, if we were to return, I would not upgrade beyond a ocean view suite.

We don't partake in "Jamaican culture" but were told by a staff member that smoking was permitted "whatever/wherever". We saw some smoking on the beach, but I don't recall seeing it anywhere else. Someone else may have more to offer on this topic.

Edited: 12:39 pm, November 19, 2013
United States
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

"how safe is it to partake in the Jamaican traditions?"

Partaking is a crime in Jamaica. While the government of Jamaica gives its 'guests' free room and board, I rate them a step down from the Don Pablo Collection and are not recommended (as is 'partaking').

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

Just use your head. Enjoy it in your room, don't "partake" out in public or you will get shook down for big money if law enforcement sees you.

With that said, it is my understanding that party favours can be obtained at pretty much every resort usually via discreet enquires to staff. Friends have told me that it is basically pervasive and everywhere should you be inclined as to look for it (and sometimes even when you are not looking for it).

It's likely NOT a good idea to obtain party favours from beach vendors .... I'm of the opinion that if you must partake, find a link on the staff. No staff member is going to shake you down and risk getting fired.

Personally I'll be avoiding it myself, I just don't need the hassle associated with obtaining it, and the risk (albeit small risk as long as you aren't stupid) that comes along with it.

Newmarket, Ontario
Level Contributor
155 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

Sooo....

Is Diamond the same as Don Pablo or what? :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

It's not the same.

Don Pablo is the top experience you can get at Bahia Principe. Diamond would be the next level down .... Diamond level does have alot of inclusions but it's not Don Pablo.

I stayed at Don Pablo Bahia Principe Ambar .... Don Pablo rooms are the best Bahia has to offer, with the most inclusions, best food, and top shelf liquor.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

No, they are not the same. The list I copied and pasted is only for the DP upgrade.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

My husband and I stayed at this resort in May. We had a lovely big room with a king size bed. The room overlooked the ocean and the pool just below us. We were on the 5th floor which was great. The higher up you are the better the view. We did not get an upgrade and we had no complaints about the resort other than it was so large. Would probably not go back there for this reason. Sometimes the upgrades are highly overrated.

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

Bamelin the diamond club is the 3rd step down the ladder. First is Don Pablo, second is gold club, then it is the diamond club. No room service or bar for diamond, there is for gold.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

Actually there is access to the private bar for Club Diamond. Below are the inclusions:

Room Service

•Room Service Notes: Private check in. Welcome drink upon arrival, welcome letter from the General Manager in your room on arrival, VIP amenities, bathrobes and slippers in your room for use during your stay, coffee maker & tea in your room restocked daily, beach towels in your room upon arrival, use of a private lounge for Club Diamond guests with free internet access (limit of 15 minutes per room per day), daily local news via Bahia Principe newsletter, one additional a la Carte dinner per week for Club Diamond Guests (4 in total), use of an exclusive section of the main buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch, 20% Discount on Spa Services, complimentary in-room safe.

Newmarket, Ontario
Level Contributor
155 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Bahia RunawayBay- GoldvsDiamondvsDonPablo + questions

Hmmm strange, you would think Diamond Club would be a higher tier than Gold Club...

Oh well, looking forward to vacation regardless. :)