We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sudden price jump

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Matthews, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Sudden price jump

My wife and I priced out a trip to GBP a week or so ago and it came to $2,000 for flight+hotel on various travel sites. Today I check the price and its up to $2600 for the same package. Looking for 6 nights starting Nov. 9th. What's the deal with the sudden price jump? What's the best time to buy? Did we miss out on something?

Moose, Wyoming
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sudden price jump

You're going during hurricane season.

I would wait until the last minute to buy the trip.

Rooms are never sold out in November, and you can probably get an amazing last minute deal if you wait.

edit: I also find that quotes are higher on the weekend.

Try shopping on Tuesday. They always have deals on Tuesdays. The closer to midnight, the better.

Edited: 1:03 pm, June 15, 2013
near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sudden price jump

Sometimes prices change from low to high and back again quite a bit for a few weeks or more. Keep checking and if you see a great price again, jump on it. Sometimes a price will be low only for a short time and then jump to a higher price and not come down. You have to be ready to book when you see that great price.

I was shopping for a resort recently and I found a good price. I didn't book right at that time. When I went back to book the next day, the great price was gone. I watched for about two weeks and found a low price once again. Although it was a few dollars more than my first low price for this resort, I booked right then.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sudden price jump

Since the price included air, chances are the increase was more related to higher air fares on the weekend.

As mentioned by Max, if you find a real good rate, best to book right away.

Remember, if you saw this good deal,so did other people who also jumped on the deal- making the price go up.

Still $1300 per person is still a good deal ( just make sure there are no extra charges).

Matthews, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sudden price jump

Airfare actually didnt change much. Looking at prices separately, the room is what went up in price so much.

guess we'll keep watching.

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sudden price jump

We usually get our best price for the first 2 weeks of October around late May/ early June. Check every day. Check multiple sites and have your finger on the trigger just in case! Sometimes a good price only lasts a few minutes!

There is a pretty good Funjet discount code right now but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Found it : ULTRATAC12

Edited: 9:27 am, June 16, 2013
New York City
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sudden price jump

This happened to me and I ended up booking separately. It came out cheaper than buying the pkg at the inflated rate. But I used a discount at the time I booked my hotel room from bookit.com. the extra discount promotion was the only way it worked out cheaper for me

Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sudden price jump

The cheapest day to fly is on a Wednesday as well.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sudden price jump

The weakening J$ and its drop of 8-10% in the recent weeks may play a large role in the jump.

9. Re: Sudden price jump

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 19, 2014