We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety??

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Safety??

Hi all

After booking for July 2014 and very excitedly telling everyone we are gettin the usual your very brave going there or it's not very safe comments .

So people who do you all feel about your personal safety when in Jamaica and any tips for keeping safe if needed.

We are staying at the gbp runaway bay .

Thanks

Jonnyboy

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety??

Hey jb,

Can you tell me about the grenock hotel horror and the gangs in Glasgow and would it be safe for me to visit there?

There are places everywhere around the wold and areas you should go and areas you should not go. Use common sense and you will find that the people of jamaica are one of the warmest out of anywhere in the world. As they say " once you go you know"

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety??

I have never been concerned about my safety in Jamaica. I am always aware of my surroundings and do not venture into certain areas no matter where I am. Usually the people who tell you Jamaica is not safe are people who have never been and probably never will and they will miss out on this beautiful country and it's wonderful people and culture.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety??

Hi rasbat

It wasn't a comment but a question on how others felt if I was worried about safety I wouldn't be going

And as for gangs in glasgow I don't think they would be a patch on the ones in Kingston.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety??

Stabbing, shootings, muggings, car jackings, murders, thefts...........oh wait, that's New York City.

You will be far from Kingston. You will be safe as anywhere on earth as long as your not looking for trouble. Don't go about flashing money or bling.

The people of Jamaica are some of the kindest folks you will ever meet in your travels.!

ONE LOVE!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety??

Hi Jonnyboy,

Jamaica is a great place to visit. I've been there nearly 30 times now and will continue to visit. I love the culture and many of the people, but I've met some bad apples too.

That being said, you need to know that there are predatory people there as there are elsewhere. Basic safety precautions include not carrying large amounts of money and not flashing money around. Don't bring expensive jewelry or watches, keep it casual. Lock valuables in your room safe.

Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you when off resort and don't get drunk off resort. Make sure to only take taxis that have RED license plates as they are officially licensed to transport people. Negotiate your price for being transported before getting into the cab. Don't buy drugs, pot etc. is illegal in Jamaica. If anyone puts drugs in your hand drop them and walk away. If harrassed by persistent vendors or others just walk away.

Tourists are generally VERY safe in Jamaica so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure you can find more advice about safety there if you Google it.

Jamaica is a beautiful and awesome place to visit ~ have a great time!! :)

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety??

PS here's a link you may find interesting Jonnyboy

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html

Shelburne, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety??

I was a bit nervous also before travelling there for my first time a few weeks ago. Was never a time that I felt unsafe. Locals there are very friendly.

8. Re: Safety??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 23, 2014