We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RDCC - what is there to do

f9
England
3 posts
Save Topic
RDCC - what is there to do

am going to rdcc in july with my girlfriend. Have only been on lads holidays before to spain and greece and am wondering what there is to do round there. i guess the nightlife is pretty quiet at rdcc can anyone suggest anything else??? is there a booze cruise?

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RDCC - what is there to do

There's tons to do at the RDCC...as at any all inclusive resort in Jamaica. As far as activities actually on the resort grounds there's: snorkeling, glass bottom boat ride, bannana boat, sailing, paddle boats, a lifesize chess board, shuffleboard, various games, beach olympics, etc. etc. etc...A booze crusie is available for a charge, there's a free shuttle to Margaritaville one night, nightly entertainment, etc. We're pretty good partiers and we're hard pressed to make it up past midnight...all that drinking and sun during the day really catches up with you.

As far as off resort activities, there's even more to do...my advice is to skip the organized tours and hire a private driver...your vacation rep will do everything to talk you out of doing this, but believe me, you'll have more fun and pay less $$ with a driver. You hands down have to do Dunn's River Falls...an absolute must if you've never been there. A driver will cost you $10-20 each depending on weather you have one couple or two (you'll make friends at the resort...share cab expenses with them!) We had two couples and the Dunns trip was $10 per person plus a $10 or $15 entrance fee at the falls...this also covered taking us shopping in Ochee and a to great jerk center (be sure to buy your driver lunch). If you're a Bob Marley fan, you really should visit his birthplace and tomb at Nine Mile. It's a bit longer trip, but well worth it...I think this one was $15 per person. Keep in mind that you'll have to negotiate with your driver on price...a good rule of thumb is to expect to pay about half of what you're initially quoted. Even though we bartered the price down, we tipped our driver prettty heavily because he was really nice and we used him a few times throughout the week. Other spots in Runaway Bay worth checking out are: Cranbrook Flower Forest, Green Grotto Caves, Glistening Waters. There are also lots of "adventure" tours...hiking in the bush, zipline through the canopy, tubing down the river, biking through the Blue Mountians, etc. etc. etc...

There really is a ton to do in Jamaica...I'm sure you'll have a blast!

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RDCC - what is there to do

I completely agree with the dh couple !

In fact, even just in the small community of Runaway Bay itself, there are several local bars and eateries along with other shopping opportunities to keep you occupied.

AWESOME place as far as I'm concerned!

Blessings and respect, ENJOY.

Steve

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RDCC - what is there to do

f9-

When in July are you going? We are going there in July too.

loves to travel
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RDCC - what is there to do

Deadheadcouple has a great list!

We just got back a couple of days ago. The watersports were great. We did the snorkling trip...lots of fun...we practiced near the shore first. Glass bottom boat. Takes you to about the same place as the snorkeling trip so I'd do on seperate days. Banana boat looked fun. Lots of kayaks and peddle boats but we didn't do those...there to relax:). All free but remember to sign up early as they fill up fast.

We spent a lot of time eating and napping. The quiet pool is great. Wasn't too crowded and no children so we napped there and I took a float and floated around in the pool. Also used the float in the ocean. Very relaxing.

We did the Jimmy Buffetts Margarittaville trip. Dancing and drinking and there is a waterslide and a hot tub so wear your swimsuit. The hotel takes you for free on Monday nights 10:30pm-1am and pays your entrance fee. On Wed. you can get in for $20 and drinks are included(rumor has it), but you have to pay cab fare. Check out their website and get coupons for one free margaritta per person.

We did a daytrip to shop and go to Dunns River Falls...loads of fun.

Nightlife at resort pretty tame. We stopped by the disco on the property several times and not much seemed to be happening. I also didn't really find the nightly shows very entertaining so be prepared to find your own fun.

SOMERSET
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RDCC - what is there to do

there i loads to do on and off site during the day loads of tours etc.the disco was quite quiet when we went in october but it goes onuntil 2am every night plus there is the weekly trip to margaritaville if your a real party animal

the rum does tend to get to you after a few nights i tend to have early nights although my hubby did manage to fall in the door every night at around 2-2.15 as he instintivly staggered back to our home

hope you enjoy your holiday you will love it there we miss it every day

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RDCC - what is there to do

Get yourselves a driver & visit Flavours (a local restaurant)...here, you'll taste some of the best Jamaican food...oxtail, curried chicken, rice & peas :)

Stop by "The Bar" in Salem...friendly folks, cold beer & even video poker machines!!

Above all...ENJOY :)))

LOTL

PS. If you run into Mr P @ the Swing Bar, please tell him "Bob & Pat" say hello...thanks!

7. Re: RDCC - what is there to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 14, 2009