We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

I’m looking at booking a trip to the GBP Jamaica. Browsing through itravel2000.com I found 1386 for 10 days in May out of Toronto. It seems to be a good deal compared to the prices on other days. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews can anyone shed some light for me. Is $1386 reasonable for this resort. I also want to know what the beach is like some pictures are nicer then others and we are beach people. I also have seen very little about the Luxury GBP Jamaica, I’m assuming the rooms are just newer are there any perks and is it worth upgrading? What were your experiences with Jamaica. Originally we had picked Mexico as our destination this year but switched to Jamaica. Is May a good time to go weather wise and is it low – season?

Thanks so much in advance.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
66 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

were sent to RIU Montego Bay. We had private transportation to GBP. They reimbersed us and provided free transportatio. It was still a pain, traveling all darn day. Overooking is unacceptable !!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

im feeling nervous esp since may is supposedly shoulder season .. meaning its not supposed to be very busy.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

That's one hell of a great price, book it! We stayed from April 8-15 it was awesome. I have no idea what those who complained about are actually complaining about. I'd go back in a heartbeat, so much so that I'm looking at October for us.

This place is wonderful!

Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

We stayed at the GBP last week and absolutely loved it. The hotel is large but we loved that since it meant you never felt crowded even though there are 900 rooms. We thought the grounds were lovely and did not mind the stroll to the beach even though we were in building 23 on the far side. Our room was large, the bed was firm but very comfortable and very clean. We gave the housekeeper $5 a day and she kept the room spotless and our bar stocked and always had plenty of toiletries and towels. The food was very good for an all-inclusive. Not everything on the buffets was great but we loved the carving station, salads, fruits, fresh baked bread and desserts. The Jerk at the beach restaurant is incredible. The a la cartes are OK but it was nice to have table service at dinner. Since we were in the Don Pablo we had breakfast at the Palmyra since it was smaller and had a reserved dining section which was very nice. The only staff we found to not be very friendly and helpful were some but not all of the servers in the large buffet. If you went there later in the service they often ignored you and you had to flag them down to get a drink. The pool was very large and clean and we always saw open chairs and to me if you can't find one and someone has just left a towel then move it. The hotel clearly tells guests no saving chairs. The beach is man made but was very nice the water clean and clear, lots of fish, lots of shade on the beach we had a reserved section but there always seemed to be chairs available in the other areas. We went as a couple and were looking for a quiet relaxing time but there were also a lot of guests in their 20-30s that enjoyed all the pool activity and the nightlife and the evening entertainment. I did not like the shows and usually skip them at any resort but the band at the lobby and beach club were good. So I hope you reserved your trip and have a great time and if you can splurge for the Don Pablo upgrade it is definitely worth it.

Edited: 11:06 am, May 08, 2013
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

In the Don Pablo section would you recommend a higher floor? Also, has anyone paid the extra for a private evening dinner on the beach?

Thanks!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

We were on the second floor and no need to go any higher.

17. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 10, 2014