We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
442 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

What restaurants and shopping opportunities are there in Runaway Bay other than the AI's in the area? We booked a hotel that is not AI specifically to avoid that scene. Should we get a hotel in another town? We are trying to stay as close to St. Ann's as is possible. Though we do plan to visit, Ocho Rios sounds too busy to stay in. We want to experience the local culture but are not interested in Toga parties.

respectfully, rastawoman

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

I replied to a similar question last week. I recomended Browns Town and a couple of fellow travellers said they thought it was well worth a visit, they did not get to stay long enough. If I find the link I will post it. If I don't - GO TO BROWNS TOWN.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

Found it! Wow, I'm not very good at searches on tripadvisor, envy the people who seem to be able to give links often.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147317-i178-k6114…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
442 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

Thanks Soldier,

I'm not good with the searches either. Too much extraneous stuff. You're from Leeds. We will be stopping over in the Mother land on our way to Paris and Amsterdam for the Spear shows there. We will try Brown's town per your advice.

Thanks again,

rastawoman and Michael

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

Its worth the cab ride to starfish trelawny to visit their bamboo village next to the hotel, if you are looking for anything from rum, coffee beans, local crafts and carvings, t-shirts, cigars, pretty much anything you need that is produced locally. This place is a group of about 40 vendors, who have set up little shacks on the beach and sell their stuff. I have found their prices to be much better than mobay, ochos rios or on the strip in runaway bay. Of course you are expected to negotiate.

Also all of these guys are struggling small business guys who will really appreciate your business.

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

rastawoman123,

Where are you staying in the St Ann’s Bay part of the north coast? I’m leaving Saturday morning for Jamaica ,Continental Airlines. Pipers Cove is our place, hope you picked our resort It’s the best Independent in the St Anns, Runaway Bay Area..

Geo

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
442 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

We booked Runaway Bay Heart Hotel before we read your post on Pipers Cove. We are leaving 8/9/06 and arriving 8/10/06. The Burning Spear concert is 8/12. Many Spearheads are headed up that way for the concert in St. Ann's. I have already copied your post to Burning Spear's message board as there are a lot of inquiries regarding where to say. See www.burningspear.net.

I did get a response from Mrs. Chin and it is available for our dates 8/10-8/14. We are then headed to Tensing Pen in Negril. Since we booked flight and hotel through hotels.com I don't think we can change now as Pipers is not a partner hotel. Maybe next time. Have fun and consider the Burning Spear concert as your next trip. You don't know what you are missing.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

I completely agree with Jasoldier about Browns Town. It is one of my most favourite places in Jamaica. It is not at all a "tourist town" but there is great shopping, eating and sightseeing there!

Other options not too far from Runaway for dinner include the Glistening Waters Restaurant and the Ponderosa which are just East of Falmouth.

There is also a large oceanside restaurant near Rio Bueno (where Grand Lido Braco is) but I cannot remember the name of it does anyone know? ( the Seafood ..something maybe??)

Blessings and respect.

Steve

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

jamaicasteve - Hi, are you thinking of the one right by the road, before you get to the Grand Lido, coming from Runaway Bay? Rio Brac Travellers Rest or Rest Stop, something like that. Better than it sounds, and sells a mean jerk chicken!

9. Re: Restaurants and shopping in Runaway Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 12, 2009