We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Runaway Bay Nightlife

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Runaway Bay Nightlife

Hi Everyone,

We just booked a vacation to Runaway Bay for the beginning of March. We are staying at the Decameron Fun Caribbean.

We're just wondering if there are any fun bars/patios outside the resort in Runaway Bay? And...if it's safe for us to venture out on our own? I've heard nothing but great things about Jamaica and how friendly the locals are, but I thought I would ask.

Also, do you have any other fun tips for a small group (age:late 20s-early 30s)? Any help would be appreciated :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

Hi again!

We are leaving in about 2 weeks. If anyone has any tips, please post! :)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

we are leaving march 7th we are in our late 20's staying at the gran bahia let me know if you hear of anything good as well cause we are coming down to have a good time!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

We haven't heard about anything yet. We should make our own party!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

We can make that happen we are flying out march 7th how bout you guys!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

Not sure about right near Bahia as I stay at the RDCC which is kind of near.

My advice would be to speak to the staff at your hotel (discretely as they can get into trouble) about parties going on in the area. Ochi is a good night as is Priory Beach Party on a Sunday. British Bulldog opposite the RDCC is a great English bar full of tourists and locals.

If you go to Margaritaville, get one of the locals to take you as opposed to the organised tours (cheaper drinks local night!).

Have fun :-)

boston, ma
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

what dates will you be there? We are going on Feb. 28th till Mar. 4th.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

Thanks so much for the tips!

We will be arriving on the 4th. I can't wait!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

I just got back last night! I can answer anything for you that I can!!! A WONDERFUL trip!!!

The Royal Decameron Fun Caribbean is down a windy lane which is GOOD! I'm not going to say you CAN'T go out... but I absolutely wouldn't, especially at night.

The resort has several different shows every night, and there are multiple bars. Some of the shows were EXCELLENT! They also have two reservation places to eat as well.

It wasn't advertised to us, but there is a FREE shuttle that takes you between the Royal Decameron Fun Caribbean and the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean, which is less then 10 minutes away. (Or if you want to go when it isn't shuttle times, the cab ride is US $6.) On our last night, we had made reservations at their Thai restaurant and stayed for their entertainment. It was very neat to see a completely different resort and see their entertainment. They had a small reggae band at one bar, then a french band at another, then a main stage reggae band, and then their own dancers. You don't have to go there at night, you can go there anytime and do any of their activities or eat there. (I do have to say, we checked out their dinner buffet, and the food looked better than at the Fun, though I like the Fun resort WAY better!) The only thing to warn you about is the "French Invasion" at the Club Caribbean. They market to the French (not French Canadian, but France French), and hardly any of the other guests around were English speakers. But that was fun too!!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

On our way there, my husband was pretty taken back by all of the poverty we saw just on the drive there. I wasn't so shocked and it was much better than I had thought, but my husband was pretty shaken up by it. It took him about a day of being at the resort to being "okay" with being there... and it was because YES, the locals are SO warm and wonderful and welcoming!!! I think that's why so many people go back again and again! I'm in my late 20's and he's in his early 30's, and we loved hanging out with the Fun Crew and lifeguards at the hotel. The people are just so wonderful!!! But outside the hotel, and even down just a ways into Ochos Rios, every single place has steel bars, people walking around with nothing to do, and all of the resorts are guarded. It's definitely not a place I would just go walk around to see what is there, but it would possibly be okay if you have a specific destination.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: Runaway Bay Nightlife

Thanks so much for the tips - that really helps! I'm glad you had a good time!

Do you have any advice with regards to the rooms? Which buildings are closest to the main area? How big is the resort?

Also, did you do any excursions while you were there? Anything worthwhile?