We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

We've just returned from our 2nd visit to Jewel Runaway Bay (7th to this property). I know many questions have just been asked and answered. I'd be more then happy to answer any others.

Still prepping my review but I can assure you that it will be 100% positive. Everyone has there own opinions but that is ours. After reading some of the recent feedbacks I have to laugh. If the GM himself or someone he has contact you offers to make things right, either except the offer or don't complain. I saw and heard this happen with my own eyes and ears then come back to read it. Laugh!!!

As for guests of the past ownership. Jewel did not just slap on a coat of paint. This property is back to looking like the one we knew and loved for so many years before SC let it run down. And there is still more to come! It will be in my review but i'll say it here. If you choose not to return to this beautiful resort now that Jewel has turned it around, you will be missing out on one of the best vacations ever!

Edited: 7:51 am, January 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach...
2,806 Reviews
Jamaica
Memphis TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

We are in process of picking a resort. GOing with my daughter who is 13 almost 14 years old. I hear the beach is so great there. We have also considered Hilton ROse hall, HOliday INn Sunspree, Sunset Beach, Grand Pineapple. I like that this resort seems better laid out and easier to get around in. Have you traveled at any of the other resorts I mentioned? Did you enjoy the snorkeling? That is my main reason for wanting to go with this resort. I hear the water is awesome. Did you get Red flags any days you were there?

THanks,

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hilton Rose Hall Resort...
3,751 Reviews
Jamaica
Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

I have not been to any of those resorts. I know grand pineapple is on 7 mile beach in Negril and probably the best beach in Jamaica but, The beach at JRB is one of if not the best on the north coast. We love snorkeling. There is a wonderful reef right at the beach with tons of colorful fish. There a few red flag days but it of course depends on the weather during your stay.

The resort has a great layout making nothing to far away.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Thanks for this we have just booked for Feb 5 for a week, it will be our first time in Jamaica and this resort appeared to have everything we like and love about a resort but we did notice some prior customers were doing a bit of complaining about the changes.

We now can't wait for our trip.... Any advice about trips to take or not to take and tips on the resort?

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

"but we did notice some prior customers were doing a bit of complaining about the changes." Hard to please everyone I guess. When we vacation after working hard all year long, the main thing we look for is relaxation! At Jewel there are activities if you wish to join in or just sit back relax and watch.

As for "off resort" trips there are so many to choose from. It would be better if you let us all know what your interested in.

Enjoy!

Drew

South Range...
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Mijobo, I'm heading there tomorrow. I will surely golf once or twice, and will report when I return!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Cocotel251 we prefer to learn about where we are, what the place is really like, shopping, nightclubs are not really our thing. My partner likes to Golf and snorkle so that is him happy for the week (along with a few umbrella drinks).

How much is it for the golf?

As long as the entertainment does not involve the usual make the tourists look like silly a**es type then it is all good.

Other than that just find me a chair on the beach in the shade, a good book and a cold drink by my side and I am a happy camper.

How busy was the resort when you were there? Any ideas of how busy it will be in Feb?

louisville
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Cocotel251..thanks for posting Looking forward to seeing your full review.. We are 4 sisters who will be travelling to JRB the last week in March to celebrate a couple of milestone birthdays. First time to Jamaica and first time for an AI. Can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Having computer problems. Review may be delayed. Hard to type on netbook.

Moorefield, Nebraska
Level Contributor
89 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

I will be arriving at JRB on March 10th. Can't wait to get there and see the changes and get some diving in. I am bring a first timer with me again this trip. I look forward to your review Drew.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just returned from Jewel (JRB)

Tim, hope you enjoy it even with a few kids around. All of the Dive crew was asking for you! Still the same great vibe, just tamed down a bit.

Enjoy