We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

Does anyone have any thoughts on the vast differences from one review to the next for the Grand Bahia Principe? It seems people love it or hate it. I'm beginning to rethink my decision to go there in the spring.

Midlands
Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

We were there in November and enjoyed, maybe some people expect more than others, food fine, there is loads to choose from.

Just chill and enjoy, it is a 4 star hence the price. If people want more then pay more.

I'm sure you'll have a good time..... think good reviews out way the bad.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

The resort is fine with good snorkeling and good food. It isn't as large as some people complain about but the beach is course in front of the resort but much better to the left.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

I know the odds of forum comments lean toward negative reviews, it's just human nature I suppose.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

We were there in October and really enjoyed our stay. Just like you we were concerned before we left because of the reviews. We got what we felt was a good deal and did pay for the Golden Club because of the fair price that was being offered. Again because of the good price we went with the frame of mind how bad can it be. Let's put it like this - if they offered a similar deal - we'd go back.

Our room was in building 17, 4th floor. It was perfect, overlooking the beach and ocean with the Jamaican hills as a back drop. The beach on the left side of the property is very nice. There were a few simple things not working properly in our room when we arrived. I left a nice note the next morning and everything was taken care of. Everyday we would leave a tip for the maid with a note thanking her for keeping our room clean and reminding her we liked to have face clothes / wash clothes. Everyday we would get them. I did forget to mention the wash clothes one day and that day we did not get them.

The food was good. One night we weren't happy with our meal in one of the restaurants so we went over to the buffet and eat a little something. If you go hungary it's on you. We found the staff to all be very friendly and helpful.

Go and enjoy. Don't expect 5 star because then you will be disappointed.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

What is a good price? We are going next month and are paying. $3600. for the two of us. I don't believe that is the Golden upgrade. Did we pay to much? It is advertised as a 5*. We have been traveling for years now and this is the most we have spent for a week in the Carribean. We have stayed at 5*s in Mayan Riveria and was never disappointed. I don't understand how a resort can have a rating and not be responsible to living up to it?? This is our first trip to Jamaica maybe I should have done more research! Hoping our hard earned money lends to a good vacation.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

We paid $2600.00 for both of us for 10 nights/11 days in October including air, transfers and taxes.

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

Carolyn123456...When we went for 7 nights in March 2012, we paid 2900 with Air Transat from Winnipeg. With AT, Royal Golden was an inclusion. In October we traveled with Air Canada for 9 nights for just under 3600 per couple. We priced out (with Air Canada) the same week in March 2013 as we were there in 2012 , and it was 4400 per couple...an increase of 750 per person OUCH!!

BarryGuy69... I am not about to tell you to discount the reviews you have read, because the reality is there are some "issues" to be found at this resort (as with any resort), but the degree of importance to you is subjective. In fact it is because of the research we had done, incl the negative reviews that gave me an entirely different perspective going into our stay there. We were prepared for the "worst" and soon discovered that any of the issues we did encounter weren't serious enough to dampen our vacation (more so because we were prepared for them). Like you, prior to our second trip, we found ourselves questioning our decision to return because there seemed to be so many more negative reviews. Not so much for us...we knew what to expect...but this time we were taking friends, who were coming on our recommendation. I am so glad we went with our gut, and went anyway. It was as amazing as the first visit. Certain aspects were even better. Truth be told if I could be back there today, I'd be there in a second. Did we encounter issues? Sure. Enough to keep us away? .NEVER!! When we are there, we feel at home. As we sat on the balcony each morning, enjoying our coffee, the hubby was trying to figure out how to book the resort for a 6 month stretch, to make it our permanent home for half the year LOL

Edited: 1:17 pm, January 01, 2013
Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

BTW Carolyn123456...what airline are you flying with? Although (travel with) Air Canada does not allow for the Golden upgrade (this is an Air Transat exclusive for Cdn passengers), the Air Canada priveleges are comparable, with the exception of room service (trust me, no great loss here) and 30 min of free internet per day.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

I don't think too many folks on this forum would recommend the Bahia for a first Jamaican experience. However, since you've already booked it there's not much to be done at this point. I would suggest you get out of your resort and see a bit of the island.

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vast Range between Reviews of GBP

Having been twice ourselves, I have to ask Rob_and_Cathy, why do think the Bahia wouldnt be recommended "for a first time Jamaican experience"? I assume you've been yourselves? If someone is looking for a truly authentic Jamaican vacation, immersing themselves completely in the Jamaican culture and all that it entails, then you're right ANY (of the larger) all inclusive resort (s) in Jamaica will be lacking in that respect. Ironically, for us, it was in fact the recommendations from several forum member here that prompted us to select the GBP for our first visit to Jamaica last spring, over several others we had been considering :)