We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap holidays to CA ????

essex
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap holidays to CA ????

Why has CA got so expensive. In the last 6 years it has doubled in price, they are charging 4 and 5 star prices and at best they are only 2 1/2 star. Some sites I have looked on they want as much as £1700 for 14 nights in May 2013.... why . We want to go back but at the prices we are being quoted its not feasible. Does anyone in the UK know of any sites doing this wonderful slice of paradise for a normal price !! Dont want to stop going there but if the prices dont come down we will be forced to go elseware , somewhere were the prices are more realistic. HELP .

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

supply and demand dictates prices.. If everyone want to go to a certain destination the price is quite high because of that fact

essex
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

Every one I know and from reading on here, there is only a handfull of people there at anytime ! Its not supply and demand when its empty, I think it has more to do with the sky rocketing prices.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

Many time the price incease you see can be the airfare if being looked at together. Iv'e seen prices raise and drop just hours apart.

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

I thought I had read somewhere that CA was being marketed as a lifestyle friendly resort since the new owners took over.

Anyone else read that and if so, could that be a reason for price increases, ie different marketing strategy?

Unless they have given the place a facelift since I was there a few years ago, it was a fun place that was good bang for the buck but badly in need of some TLC.

atlanta
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

Yes, the Denny P newsletter has stated the resort is converting to a "couples-only lifestyle-freindly resort."

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

Thanks, loudness.

I didn't know if I had imagined that or not lol! Sometimes I think the "oldtimers" is setting in :) :) .

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

Just 2 weeks ago we called into CA as we were staying at RDCC....

We also love this place but because it has become too expensive we have to stay elewhere..

However we spoke to Gilbert and the new GM and they are trying to get it back in the English brochures with Thomas Cook.....

Have to agree with the prices ...when we first went in Dec 2008 it cost us £800 each now its more like £1600 each....not worth it !!!!!!!

Lets hope they come up with a good deal..

PS...it was dead when we went ..only 45 guests and none of the staff we used to know...

Gone is.....Macho, Maria, Scooby, Desmond, Barney, Stacy, Nigel, Mark, Junior, Colin, etc...its not the place it used to be.

Southern MD
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

It's really sad to hear the staff you mentioned is gone. I'm scheduled to return to C.A. on Dec 10. It will be my 6TH visit and from what you said probably the last. The staff were a very big part of the resort. Almost like family. What are they changing there that they felt they needed to change the staff? Maybe they need swinger bar tenders. Has it already converted to a "life style resort", whatever the hell that means. It was really a nice laid back friendly place to stay. Oh well, I guess things change. Back to Mexico,I guess.

essex
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

Whats a "Life style resort " when its at home ? I just want our old CA back, all cheap and homely, and all the same old faces we meet year after year, where staff and guests are one big happy family , thats not to much to ask ............... Is it ! Hope Thomas Cook take it back on again, at a realistic price as these current prices I fear will keep everyone away and force this lovely little place to eventually close. If it aint broke dont try to fix it .....

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap holidays to CA ????

"Life style resort" = catering to swinging couples. Seems that's the latest niche market in some destinations. An attempt to find a way to make a profit I guess.

No judgement here. To each their own.