We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

South Plainfield, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

My husband and I are going to the Starfish from June 5 to June 10 and I was wondering if anyone has been there is June and could let me know what the weather is like and the water temp. Also was looking to do some parasailing, sea trek and horseback riding any advice on the best places to go and/or the prices of these I would really appreciate.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

We were there the first week of June last year. It was HOT, not as hot as July or August but very HOT. Had rain 3-4 days in the afternoon for a little while. One of the days we had a slow steady rain all day. We decided to go to Dunn's Falls that day as we would get wet anyway.

There is parasailing at Starfish. I think you can negotiate for $30 each. Not sure about sea trek. Horses are in Runaway Bay I think. I know they offer the tour for it there at the resort. You can probably get on your own though.

Have a great time.

South Plainfield, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

Thanks. Parasailing is something that my hubby wants to do. I'm a little more hesitant.$30 a person sounds incredible I was expecting a lot more. It's his birthday week so I was hoping that there was something close thanks for the good news !!

Any idea how warm the ocean was?

Thanks

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

The water was great, not too cold and with the heat felt wonderful. We didn't do parasailing there but they did have it. I'm just sure I read Jamaicasteve said it could be negotiated for the $30. If you want something that will give you a real rush, try the canopy tour through the resort. It cost us $75 each and is through Chukka tours. You have to book through the hotel, can't take a cab to it. They also do the horseback riding so you might be able to book both the same day and save some money. All their tours start and end out of the same home base in Runaway Bay. The canopy tour (or zip line) was quite a thrill.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

Hi guys!

Just to mention that the $30 each was a couple years ago now (before the major gas price increases) I'm thinking you might find it hard to talk them down under $40 now, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also keep in mind that the more people in your "group" the better rate you can get... So if you can get several to want to go, approach the "boatman" as a "group".

Blessings and respect.

Steve

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

Hi Lisa, that canopy tour sounds like it would be fun. Where do they do it, how long is it and exactly what does it entail?

Thanks Susanne

Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

Hi,

I was just at Starfish and also wanted to go parasailing, it is no longer available at starfish, you have to go to Montego Bay, about 1 1/2 hours away, and it's about $100.00 a person, so we skipped it. If you have any other questions read my post about my vacation, the heading is just back from 8 days at the starfish.

Kristen

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

The tour is through Chukka tours and you go just before Runaway Bay to their 'compound'. You get on a different bus and take it up into the mountains to start the trip. You're harnessed up and then they clip you to the zip lines to ride through the jungle from one platform to the next. It was an amazing experience. The guides are VERY professional and coureous. They take pictures of you at different points to try and get you to buy them. Some people had disposable cameras with them to take pictures of their group from the other side.

If you're really afraid of heights I wouldn't recommend this as you're up somewhat. Also, you do a lot of walking, downhill, to get to the first platform. I think you need to allow 4-5 hours roundtrip for the tour. The tour desk has the info.

On the parasailing. I wonder if FDR Pebbles still does it. If so one could probably go over there. Not sure though but my husband uses their dive shop.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

Susanne,

Forgot to mention there is another canopy tour from Chukka on the other side of Mobay. It is the orginal one and has a couple of much longer lines from what I understand. I know you're going on somewhere else from Starfish so thought I'd mention that. The tours have to be booked through the resort for some reason (or another tour operator).

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

Kristen's information is inaccurate,

A- There is parasailing available nearby Starfish.

B- Mobay is 30-40 minutes from Starfish

C- Even without any negotiating skills you can definately get it for no more than $60 per person.

By the way, Parasailing is virtually never included at a resort and is almost always an "off-property" operator that will offer it.

As far as horseback riding goes, I think you're best to go with Bracco Stables which is not far at all.

Blessings and respect. Enjoy!

Steve

South Plainfield, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starfish from 6/5 to 6/10 - Advice Please

Jamaica Steve -

When you say nearby is there somewhere in soecific I should look? Also have you ever done the Sea trek and if so how deep do you go?

Thanks

Joy