We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paging JamaicaSteve...

MN
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Paging JamaicaSteve...

i just returned from Starfish...I need to ask you something.

Are you out there?

MN
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

I did not meet any of those names mentioned. Lucky claims to remember you...so I told him I would say hi for him. He sold us an alligator and a rasta mask.

I did meet sharron (very nice) Melissa from M&Ms shop, and a guy whom I cant remember his name, very very nice as well.

I have a picture of lucky i can send you if youd like.

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

heya everyone'

I also found some photos on webshot communities about Starfish some nice pics!!!!!!! anyone need the addy just ask!

fort mcmurray, ab
11 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

jamaicasteve

thanks for comments on another posting; they were very helpful. I have a question/concern I was hoping you could answer. The last time we went to jamaica we found the locals very friendly. But then they tryed to sell us something. Does the friendliness usually stem from hopes of a sale or are the people generally like that? Last time, with our typical canadian need not to hurt someones feelings, my husband spent almost all our spending money on two carvings from a guy who told him a story about needing to pay for his daughters school supplies and such. could be true and they probably indeed have less than us, but as we weren't in an all inclusive we ended up eating noodles for the last 2 days of our honeymoon. Just wondering how to deal with the salesmen in a way that doesn't give us either pangs of guilt (or hunger!) We aren't the richest at home here-takes few years to save for one trip-so the pressure to spend is quite stressful. Thanks so much for your help!

St. John's...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

Hi Holly,

I would love to know the address of the web shots for Starfish that you know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and all the best,

Karen

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

Hia

www.community.webshots.com

Go to the bottom left of the first page (type in member) and look at the following 2 peoples folders. They both have their trip pics up. The first one it the best one. Hope this helps. Tell me what you think.

1) rverret

2) sunbum97100

lemme know if they work.

Holly!

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

afte doing some more searching I've found 3 more people on the above website here are their member names

3) claudine2k

4) tmvijay1980

5) pjsmith40

Again lemme know

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

Okay, I tried sending three emails with pics and resort info. I hope you all received them. And, again, sorry Steve. The two with Caleb weren't as clear as I had hoped. We'll have to do better this year, huh?

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

Greetings "freezin" ,

I can completely relate to your situation. To be honest, quite often some will go to incredible lengths based solely on the "hopes" of making a sale, however there are equally as many who are quite simply, genuinely friendly and helpful. The strife and trials of the average Jamaican has more or less "forced" many to become incredibly "persuasive" sales people. I, like your husband, find it very, very hard to say no to helping out someone who appears to be in great need. That being said, if I were to try and help every needy person I encountered on my trips to Jamaica I would be broke by noon the first day myself. Again, like yourselves, I truly have to scrimp and save all year in order to be able to afford a week in Jamaica so although I wish I could be more generous still, I "justify" myself by knowing that I give as much as I can comfortably give.

I think I remember you saying you are going to Starfish this time... if so you will find the vendors in that immediate area to be very low key and not pushy at all.

I URGE you NOT to avoid spending SOME money with them, because they TRULY can use the business. I strongly suggest that you decide ahead of time how much money you can afford to spend with the vendors and then keep your budget in mind throughout the week. The best thing to do, is from the onset tell each vendor you speak to the truth. Let them know that you have very little money and you are not rich. They can and will respect and understand that. Never tell someone maybe later, or I'll think about it when offered something, if you aren't interested. Just politely say no thank you. Whatever budget you decide regardless of how little it may be, you should maybe try and spread out between several vendors. Let's say if you have $100 to spend, then perhaps buy from 5-10 different people.

Take great pride in knowing that you in your situation are infinately more compassionate and generous than the countless tourists who have wealth and don't even care enough to show respect, let alone worry (like you) about being TOO generous.

God bless you and much respect to you for your kindheartedness.

Steve

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

Thanks so much for the photos Chuck, although not the best, they were very pleasing none the less. Re: Caleb's shoes... We have managed to get 3 different pairs to him over the last few months so at least that has improved!

God bless you my friend.

Steve

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Paging JamaicaSteve...

Hey great pics, thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!