We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

There has been a bunch of information so far on the transition from Breezes to Jewel Runaway Bay. It just get posted all over the place on all different posts.

Let's try to curb the confusion and get all of the information possible on one post. Hopefully Scott from the Jewel will follow suit as information comes available.

If you have any questions about the transition please post here and hopefully all of us will get the information together.

So far what we know, and Scott please correct me if I'm wrong.:

*As of June 1st The Jewel will take over the Breezes Runaway Bay property.

*The golf course was included in the purchase and will still be included as it was.

*Transfers from Sangster will still be included.

*Tippping will be allowed even though not required.

*It is the Jewels intentions to hopefully keep 80% or more of the BRB staff.

*The resort will not be closing, just transitioning onwership.

*So far nothing has been decided about the diving.

If I have missed anything already known please fill in the blanks. It is my hopes that this post will be used to keep everyone updated as to what will change and what will not with the new Jewel ownership. So we don't need to jump from post to post looking for information and getting confused beyond need.

Hoping everyone will have the best time possible with there booked vacations at The New Jewel Runaway Bay (name still not confirmed)!

Cocotel251

Virginia
Level Contributor
886 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

Excellent idea! This is the thread I will watch as long as Scott from the Jewel ends up here with info. That will solve a lot of cross-posting problems and maybe keep Scott from having to post in a dozen different threads here.

Thanks Cocotel251!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
77 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

Thanks Cocotell251,

Great idea! This is Jamaica Mon, there are no problems there......

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

Thanks Coco (you don't mind if I call you Coco do you?) I'm sure everyone will be glad to have only one thread to receive updates.

Anyway one of the other concerns that many people have is the thought of JRB becming a "Family Resort". If family means a child over 14, I personally don't have a problem. The young people that we have met have been very well behaved. On the other hand children 10 and under can get a little out of hand, and that can be expected. We know a lot of repeat guests that would not return if it would become a Family Resort. Based on the reviews on Jewel Dunns River we're rather looking forward to returning to our "home" away from "home".

ny
Level Contributor
170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

I am in the process of organizing a group trip to BRB next Feb. I just found out about this sale and now I am hesitant to book anything...........We have been to BRB several times and was looking forward to introducing it to a number of friends who have never been before. I will be watching the progress and information carefully the next few months before we make any decisions. I hope I don't have to find a new "home" :(

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

Looks good Cocotel, just one note. I think that 80% came from the amount of staff we retained that did not leave at the Jewel Dunn's River. We will be interviewing all of the staff some time next week and based on how they do during those interview and what we observe while we are there will decide who we keep. We realize that there is a lot of great staff and managers there and would love to retain as many of them as possible.

Next week we have a lot more meetings and things are decided we most certanly will get them out there.

Thanks for your help.

Scott from the Jewel.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

Thanks for clarifying that Scott. Just wishing most will still be there when we return.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

Me too, Cocotel!! This will be my 4th year in a row returning and after the 2nd time coming I mostly return for the staff. They are a lot of fun and become friends. I hope that most of them are retained....especially the photography staff and the entertainment crew. I have to agree that Breezes needs a structural facelift but I love the staff and to me that is what makes the resort fun and why I'm a repeat visitor!!! Oh yeah, I love the Jerk station.....Yum Yum. I eat there 2 out of the 3 meals most of the times. I will be visiting this thread daily probably 3 times a day because I arrive June 19th and am anxious to know what is going to change if anything!!

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

My husband and I are concerned. we just booked this hotel because scuba diving was included. Number 1 reason. Please continue to include scruba diving. At least for the people who have already booked. Thanks.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

My husband and I are concerned. we just booked this hotel because scuba diving was included. Number 1 reason. Please continue to include scruba diving. At least for the people who have already booked. Thanks.

Lansing, Iowa
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unofficial BRB to JRB transition post

sorry posted this question on the other thread before I saw this one:

Like Carol L I was wondering if it will still be adult only or a family resort? I heard from a travel agent on another website that it will be a family resort.......could be just rumor though.

thanks