We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best rum?

Halifax
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Topic
best rum?

what is jamaicas best rum. in the dr i like brugal extra anejio, in cuba, didn't care much for the havana club 7yrs. thought it was the pop but when i got it home it was just as bad. maybe someone who has tried the brugal and many jamaican rums could help me. i like to pick up a bottle for the room.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: best rum?

I absolutely love Appleton VX. It is a very versatile rum that can be mixed with a variety of drinks.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best rum?

Hello cubguyandgal,

If you are just tasting the Appleton Rum X/V from Jamaica for the very first time, then you will never want to taste any other. It is the best for all the reasons that alimirage has so kindly pointed out.

However,everyone has different taste buds and like what they are accostomed to drinking.

Some say that the Rums from Venezuela are the best.

I only drink APPLETON RUM. No matter what the age or colour.

The Appleton white rum mixed with freshly squeezed lime juice will kill any germs that have gotten into your body. The next day you will be like new again.

ENJOY!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best rum?

APPLETON OVERPROOF WHITE RUM.

If you have already been bitten, then buy a small flask of this Jamaican white rum. Spread it on and around the bite to instantly kill the poison and to stop the swelling from spreading. Then drink the rest of the contents of this flask and you will not even remember that you were bitten. The alcohol content is 150%.

The Jamaican sense of humour is ever present in our daily lives. Some say it is the only way that they can bear all the hardships that they have to endure during the whole year.

The above explanation is a part of this sense of humour.

IMPORTANT WARNING: Please do not attempt to drink even a mouthfull of this overproof rum. It is only part of a joke.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best rum?

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I drink my rum strictly on the rocks and my favorite is the Appleton Extra. It seems to have a slightly bolder flavor than VX, but oh so smooth!! If you're drinking Extra, VX or 21 year old, it should really be neat or on the rocks to fully enjoy the quality of rum. A good rum can be every bit as complex as a good coganc or scotch. If you're mixing drinks, just go with the Appleton special...it's much cheaper and a great mixer!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best rum?

Hello deadheadcouple,

Welcome to the club of Appleton Rum lovers.

Thank you for posting this very good advise.

I enjoy mine with a slice of lime. Picked directly off the trees in Jamaica.

Halifax
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best rum?

thanks for the responses. have any of you done the appleton tour. thinking about that a ys falls from starfish next week.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best rum?

Hire your own driver and limo for the day.

Negociate directly with a driver and not through a tour desk. Price will depend on your bargening abilities.

Start early like about 7am. Sunrise is at about 6:30 am.

You can do Black River Safari, YSFalls and The Appleton factory all in one day and be back by 7-8pm

Getting there is about 2.5 -3 hours, allowing for must stops along the way.

Have fun!

Halifax
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best rum?

johhnbgood. thats what i wanted to hear. this sounds like the trip for us. thanks

Halifax
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best rum?

hey there cubaguy, I don't think that you checked with cubagal and little cubagal when planning this 7-8 hour trip. Guess you will wait for the hottest day of the vacation to strand us in a cab just like Havana. We will see if that is something that the 2 out of 3 of us would like to do. LOL!!!!!!!!!

Cubagal and little cubagal