We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Share your best memory.

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Share your best memory.

Ive done this at other forums when gathering info for our yearly trysts and have gotten great ides.

What is the one thing, a day, memory, anything experience that you remember most about a trip you took. You know, the memory that you automaticaly recall with no effort and it leaves a little grin on your face.

Mine was a simple day at the beach at the Allegro Playacar, outside of Playa del Carmen Mexico. This was my first real vacation in about 6 years. On the third day, after lunch I went to the beach by myself because the rest of the crew went shopping. I fell asleep in my beach chair, under a shady palm. When I woke up about an hour later I was relaxed. This was the first time I was RELAXED in many years. I wasnt worrying about clients, the mortgage payment, etc. That spasm in my neck was gone and I just sat and grinned.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Share your best memory.

I've been blessed with so many incredibly memorable travel experiences over the years that it would be near impossible for me to try and choose a "best" one, however here's a moment that does really stand out for me however "insignificant" it may sound...

Many years back I went on an "excursion" to get some photographs with a rastafarian friend of mine named Mike. He's a really great guy and one of those truly exceptional "tour guides" in that he truly loves to explain everything and has so much pride in his knowledge of the world around him. Anyway long story short, we drove up into the hills above Runaway Bay and stopped here and there along the way when I saw something I was interested in getting a photo of. When we got to a certain point, Mike said I've got a great place for you to take a few pictures and I said great. We stopped and then proceeded to hike our way up the side of a small mountain. After a while we came upon an old stone wall that just stood there all alone in the bush. It was from a time long gone and it in itself was a great photo. However Mike then darted off up the hillside a bit more and came back with a step ladder. He propped the step ladder up on the wall for us to get up on top of it. When I got up there I found the most incredibly indescribable panoramic view of the coast with the flowering tops of the surrounding trees in the foreground...

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only "tourist" who had been brought there to take some photos, but suffice to say that I was TRULY in "Paradise" standing up there looking around. The view was so stunning that I didn't even come close to doing it any justice with photos. But I can still see it!

Blessings and respect to all.

Steve

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Share your best memory.

I once "fought the bull" at the bullfights in Cancun. We, for some unknown reason, decided to go. While the preliminary activities were going on, Mayan dancing, etc, the ring announcer called for "volunteers" he collected 6 young ladies to participate. They were inroduced and a chicken was thrown out for them to chase. He then called for men. He had chosen 5 young college guys out of the latge crowd, but he was scanning the audience, my hand shot up and he chose me too. There I was (40ish) with the 5 college guys. They had us looked over by a doctor, gave us helmets and tought us how to us the cape thing. The whole time Im thinking they'll bring out a mechanical bull. But, when the first young guy got out in the middle of the ring out runs a year old 500lb REAL BULL. We take turns and when mine came I went out and dodged that guy for all I was worth. He got me once on the hip pretty good, It was a hoot, my daughter caught some pics to prove it.

If anyone goes to Cancun, avoid the bullfights. Its pretty gruesome.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Share your best memory.

While staying at For Real, I noticed a little girl about 2 giving her mom quite a rough time, it seemed to be nap time but of course being 2 and wanting to play in the sand instead of taking a nap....well of course playing in the sand was more important, anyway a little band of 3 came and sat down by the little girl and started playing this soft reggae song and the little girl just stared and stared and then started slowly dancing then the Mom picked her and started to sway her, well less than 5 minutes later the little girl was out like a light, the 3 got up and tipped their hats and walked away.....that picture is still my favorite....i saw the same group on the beach later in the week and just walked up to them and gave them $5....wonderful memory for me!

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Share your best memory.

Having a 3-1/2 foot Giant Sea Turtle "kiss" my mask in Barbados a few years ago definately ranks right up there with the "best" moments!

Dropping my 6 iron approach shot for an Eagle 2 on the first hole one morning golfing in the Bahamas was memorable too on a different level. Of course I completely "blew up" the rest of the round and ended up 84, but that one shot was a magical feeling... lol

Blessings to all.

Steve

Eve
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Share your best memory.

First trip to Cozumel - first scuba dive to Palancar Gardens. We jumped in the water and our dive Master Raul said "Okay, let's go diving." As soon as I let the air out of my BCD and started decending, the current started drifting us towards our target entrance to the site and it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life. Swimthroughs, lot's of coral, Walls and tons of fish. If you ever get the chance, please dive Palancar Gardens. It was a sight I will never forget or ever tire of. Makes you realize how insignificant we really are in this huge facinating world...quite a humbling experience.

Atlantis - Bahamas. Four of us were there for a friends stagette. Relaxed all day at the resort, went to dinner, went to the nightclub "Waterloo", and hung-out like we did 10 years ealier when in university and laughed like we did back then. So much fun! So many memories!