We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

on the lake...
Level Contributor
566 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

I'm wondering what is the proper way to bring and distribute school supplies to employees? What is most needed? What other items would be good to bring to leave behind??

Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

We are staying for the first time in Jamaica from Feb 18 - 25th. Last year on our Cuba visit we took all sorts of things including toothpaste, pens, children books, clothes, etc. It seemed to be greatly appreciated but I am not sure if Jamaica has the same shortages.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

You can ask if anyone needs supplies and give them a note listing what you're giving, your name and room number along with supplies so they can leave the resort with them. You could give them to the different dept. mgrs. and ask them to hand out, or you could wait outside the employee exit at shift change and hand out (then they wouldn't need a note).

Decent crayons, pencils, and composition books would be the most common things. Ink pens would be great as well, no one ever seemed to have one. Mechanical pencils for the older kids along with pencil lead.

You might bring clothes and shoes. I noticed on our first trip the employees wear black shoes for work. I saw several women with shoes that literally were falling apart. I checked thrift stores and with friends for good, comfortable work shoes and took them back with me on our second trip. Those I left with the supervisors to put out for whoever could wear those shoes. It would be great to get the names and shoe sizes of those you know need shoes. When you get back from your trip post the info so someone going down could take the right size for that person.

Whatever you take it will be greatly appreciated.

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

Hey dartnut,

we will be at Starfish Feb 20th and were also in Cuba last year. You will have a day or two head start on us, would love to get any advice from you when we arrive.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

Greetings to you smornes,

First and foremost God bless you for caring about the children of Jamaica! Rest assured everything you do for them will be TRULY appreciated.

My friend Lisa (Krim) has given you great advice! If you search the forum here for the phrase "Going to Jamaica How Can you Help" and "update Group Mission Trip to Tobolski" you will find tons of ideas.

Much respect to you, have an AWESOME vacation!!! Please return and tell us about your experiences.

Steve

on the lake...
Level Contributor
566 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

Just back from a shopping trip, getting last minute things for my trip to Jamaica. I picked up crayons, colored pencils, regular pencils, pencil sharpener, erasers, blue, black and red ink pens, composition notebooks, coloring books, silly putty, Lifesavers, small etch-a-sketchs, plus a girls Bible and a boys Bible. Are these all ok things to bring? I'm thinking of putting them all in a backpack and leaving the whole bag with the hotel mgr/supervisor. Question...if I use the backpack idea, I'd bring it as a carry on to the plane. Will I have trouble going through customs with items like this? Thanks! Also, about the black shoes, I will try to get a list of names and sizes for those who are traveling after I return.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

Hi again,

That is AWESOME! Much respect to you for your efforts. You can be sure that everything you bought will be infinately appreciated!

The backpack idea is good, although I suggest that you disperse all the school items throughout ALL of your luggage in amongst your clothes etc... and then once you're there transfer everything into the backpack. That will make it much less likely for you to be hassled at customs.

God bless you my friend.

Steve

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starfish in 3 weeks, want to bring school supplies

You may also want to give it to others yourself rather than to a supervisor. I have heard from workers that a supervisor could play favorites while if you give them out it would be to someone you got to know. The cleaning staff are never paid enough for thier hard labor and could always use something special to brighten thier day. I let them pick something each day and in addition I always get a few boxes of candy from Sams or Costco like M&M's and find out how many kids they have then leave one for each child for mom to take home each night while we're there. Or perhaps to a local church you may want to visit.