We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

This will be our 1st trip to the island, are there any creatures we should watch out for? Spiders, snakes......

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
1. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

No venimous snakes. Spiders are not an issue. No nasty creatures to worry about. You will see a lot of geckos which are small lizards and pretty cute. They just eat bugs. Sand fleas can be an issue for some. They are active at dawn, sunset, and any time after a brief rain which cools down the sand. If you are on the beach at these times spray your ankles with a deet bug spray and don't lie on the sand. Other than that just beware of the land sharks :-)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

Blues_Pirate, Thanks! I don't mind geckos, they're pretty cute! And, well the land sharks I think I can handle too! ;) Thanks for the info, feel much better now!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,476 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

40 legs aren't too cool, stinging centipedes. Also rare but if you see one don't pick it up or step on it barefoot :)

A friend of mine did try to move one with her hand (she didn't know) and was stung - it's not a run to the hospital thing, but it is a painful swelling thing.

And if you see jellyfish, avoid them too. Again usually just a sting/annoyance, but not always.

Edited: 10:34 am, October 20, 2010
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

if you get bitten by sand fleas, DON'T SCRATCH - take some Benedryl and apply Lanacane to the bites. Scratching can spread the infection and if you happen to break the skin it will make it much worse. I was bitten in St Lucia but didn't know what had actually bitten me - thankfully I knew enough not to scratch them but at times it was very difficult to keep myself from shredding my legs - the itch was 10x worse than a mosquito bite.

Apache Junction...
Level Contributor
10,694 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

My girlfriend had a 40legs run over her bare foot right after a rain storm. The hotel workers that saw this happen got very panicked/frightened. My girlfriend didn't think too much about it until they start fussing about it. then she got frightened. She did't get stung though. Now she just pays more attention, especially after it rains.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
6. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

Hi Carib:

The only dangers I saw were

(1) get hit by a falling breadfruit (almost happened to me)

(2) getting bit a night by one of those green land crabs. I've seen a lot of our blue crabs, but these Jamaican green ones look really mean and have a rather rotten attitude !!

Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

Stray cats...they look cute and friendly, but they can nip as well; I'd avoid petting them...

In the ocean there's the jellyfish as previously mentioned. There's also a lot of sea urchins in the water with sharp spines that can be painful if you accidentally step on them, so be careful when walking along the shoreline.

:)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
8. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

Thanks everyone for all the great tips!!! I'm really looking forward to our trip in Jan. Jan. can't seem to come fast enough!! I am new to TA, and am very impressed with how truly helpfull you all are.

Thanks again!

T

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

I heard more people are killed, worldwide, by falling coconuts than sharks. Not sure who keeps score.

The few snakes in Jamaica are not poisonous and harmless to humans. There are a few scorpions that carry a nasty sting.

In several years spent in Ja, all parts, I've seen no snakes, one scorpion, and about four forty leggers. Biggest 'danger' by far are mosquitos, sandflies, and of course, the coconuts.

the pas manitoba
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Jamaica First timer!! Wildlife?? Venimous snakes??

i am probably going to hate myself for asking this, but is there really such a thing as a land shark? i can deal with a ghecco, possibly a falling cocunut, but am petrified of the thoughts of jelly fish, or 40 legged monster things, or sea urchins. please tell me that land sharks are not real. can a sea urchin bite through water shoes?