We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phones in jamaica

sunderland,england
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
mobile phones in jamaica

Hi Guys just wondering if there is any coverage in jamaica for using your mobile, just dont see the point in taking it with me if its not going to work.

Fleety

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: mobile phones in jamaica

I was in Negril in September. My cingular phone worked fine. I made one phone call to the states. I purchased a cell phone in Jamaica because it is cheaper. You can minutes to the phone on Digicel website. :)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: mobile phones in jamaica

Luvjamaica1, I will be travelling from Chicago to Ocho Rios in 5 days and I have a World Phone from Cingular. I will most likely be calling home to Chicago every day. Cingular said they could add international calling to my plan for $1.50 for the week and each call would be 1.60 a minute.

Do you think It would be cheaper to buy a Digicell phone there? Isn't there a contract? Would I buy my minutes? Do you think it would be cheaper than Cingular?

Thanks for you help!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: mobile phones in jamaica

Luvjamaica1, I checked out the Digicell website but I am still confused about the pricing---I don't know what the conversion rate is.

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: mobile phones in jamaica

I was in Montego Bay in Sept....and have a Cingular phone. Mine worked fine.....cost $1.99 per minute though.

Englefield Green...
Level Contributor
167 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: mobile phones in jamaica

Fleety mate,

I spend a fair bit of time in Jamaica nad can advise as follows:

Posts are correct - you need a triband phone. This will enable you (iwht international roaming) to make and receive calls at an extortionate rate.

But you can get a Jamaica SIM card for your triband for about GBP 15 including some mintues that you can keep topping up. This i by far the cheapest option for you...but only orks if your phone is "unlocked" - meaning it will accept other SIM cards. If it is not unlocked you can get it unlocked in the UK (cheap mobile phone place for about GBP 15 or so)...or in Jamaica (I paid $500 = GBP 5)

You can also rent for US$5 per day + minutes charge (minimum applies). Rental place is at the airport (1st shop right as you exit customes hall - you could also get your SIM card here if you have unlocked your phone)

Enjoy

Hampton, Minnesota
Level Contributor
571 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: mobile phones in jamaica

Rubikon..what part of MN? Hampton here! To reply to the post..in April I had Verizon Wireless put International Dialing on my phone and had no problem calling home for about $1.35/min I think. Much better than the calls I made on my VISA my first trip to Jamaica...NEVER EVER use Visa to call home..$35 TO CONNECT AND ABOUT $5/MIN AFTER!