We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

Hiya folks only a couple of weeks until i fly out but i was wondering what is the best currency to use out there?

also if i want to change some British pounds can that be easily done?

Thanks for any help

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

hey:

We've been a couple of times to Jamaica and loved it.

Both times we took American money as it was the easiest to exchange.

If you can buy American money its probably the best way to go. You can change it at some hotels & some businesses will accept it.

Any other currency you will need to go to a bank.

hope this helps,

Taly

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

The best currency to use "out there" in Jamaica is the Jamaican dollar. British pounds and Euros are easily exchanged at banks and cambios. And while the US dollar is widely accepted, you will lose about 10% due to conversion rates.

Honest, I don't want to start some sort of international incident, but it seems that this question comes up about three times every week, and almost always from the Brits. Why is this so confounding for y'all? Jamaica is a country. It has it's own currency.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

hello:

Yes, Jamaica has its own currency but the easiest to change is American US into Jamaican !!

Other currency needs to be changed at a bank. If you have time you can change some at the airport.

And by the way, the comment about the British was not called for--IMHO.

Jay uk79--if you can buy US currency it will be much easier for you, then take some British pounds if you need to.

Take care,

Taly

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

When we were at the Cambio in MoBay Superplus, they were exchanging pounds for JA dollars. I suggest using JA dollars. It will be accpepted everywhere you go and it's easier to get all of your change back. If you use American money, I have found that it can be confusing to make change and you have to think too much about the conversions. If I were you don't exchange at the airport. It may be easy but the rate is terrible.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

Yes, you can convert pounds to US dollars at your bank before leaving, but you'll pay 3-5% in the exchange. Now, before you have even left home, you have lost 5% of your purchasing power converting pounds to US dollars.

Then, when you get to the island, you will find that merchants are free to set their own exchange rate. So while the bank/cambio rate may be approx. $70J(amaican) per US dollar, most merchants will exchange at 68 or 65 or 62 or even 60J per US dollar. You lose, on average, about another 10% converting US into Jamaican. And, regardless of what currency you use, your change will be Jamaican. So now you will have some pounds, some US dollars, some Jamaican dollars, less purchasing power, and a big headache.

Egad!

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

Good luck at the GBP.........bring alot of small American dollars or jamaican dollars. They never had any when we tried to exchange and we ran into a couple of couples from Britain arguing with front desk about terrible exchange rate with their pounds or euros. DONT trust..........the ATM at the entertainment centre was 6.00 charge to get U.S. dollars from my bank card because they never had the money at teh front desk when they said they would.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

sparky011:

Quick question please:

did you take Canadian or buy US dollars??

We found we had a hard time changing Canadian currency, but that was quite a while ago since we were in Jamaica.

Which is easiest?

thank you,

taly

Surrey
Level Contributor
888 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

Definitely Jamaican dollars. Believe me it gets very complicated when you pay in US dollars and get your change in JA dollars. Just cut out the middle man and order Jamaican dollars, you can usually get them within 3 days or so. If you use Holiday Hypermarket they will buy back any you don't use for the same rate you bought them. Costs 3.50 pounds. Well worth it - mind you I never have any to bring back!

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

Definitely use Jamaican dollar. How do you get cash in the UK? I go to cash machines (ATMs), and do exactly the same in JA. Check Martin's Money Website for the best exchange rate before you go and the best cash card to use abroad. Abbey Zero makes no charge for withdrawals abroad so it works out better than changing currency in Jamaica. Also cuts down on the amount of cash you carry at any one time. Martin is not called The Money Expert for nothing!

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: what is the best currency to use in Jamaica??

Nationwide doesnt charge either for withdrawing money from cash machines