We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon cell phones in jamaica

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
70 posts
Verizon cell phones in jamaica

do verizon cell phones work in jamaica or ??

i am going ot stop tonight and find out what i need to do with my cell phone for overseas calling or even if it works...i have been with verizon forever and my phone is older model...i just wonder if it will work or not....i dont get out of the country much (like at all) so i am not sure...

or if buying a phone card is my best bet....i have to call home and make sure that the chitlins havent strung grandma up by her ankles and tickling her with feather while they raid her pantry for cookies and her atm card for money lolol

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

We used our verizon cell phone without difficulty while in Jamaica. We put in a code prior to leaving JFK and then the same code when arriving in Jamaica. Workd fine. Not sure of code since wife handles the cell, but if you call verizon they will explain the process to you.

Minneapolis
3 posts
2. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

I have used my Verizon phone in JA. The roaming charges are crazy as Verizon and Digicel both charge a roaming fee. I would ask a local to use the international phone and give them a few bucks for using it. I think it is about 1200 JA a month for the international phone.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
70 posts
3. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

ooo thanks mel

i called verizon and they said it was just 1.29 a minute....which is expensive enough...but didnt know there was charges on the other end too...me thinks i will stick to phone cards...

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

Also, your phone has to be a GSM phone - if it's an older model, it might not be - Verizon cells cannot be unlocked -

You can buy or rent a Digicel phone and buy minutes for it - Lots of topics here about it, and it costs around 25 cents a minute to call home. I used my Verizon 1 time and had an outrageous bill - next trip, I bought a phone and have had no issues since.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
70 posts
5. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

my hubbys phone is a razor so i put the international calling on his and it should work

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

My Verizon phone actually did NOT work in Jamaica this time even (about a month ago) though the exact same phone has worked there many times before.

I have no idea why it didn't work...but I didn't feel the need to mess with it enough to fix it.

We only ever use it to check back home once a week, check on flights, etc. so the $1.50 or whatever a minute has never been an issue. I have never been charged anything by Digicel on top of that.

On our next trip, I plan on just buying a Digicel phone. We go to Jamaica enought to justify it. Plus, we will have a baby at home on our next trip to Jamaica so we will probably need to be able to check back home often (being our first trip away from the little guy and all).

Hampton, Minnesota
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

I use my Verizon cell in JA with no problem. It's $1.20/minute. I only use it to call home to check on the kids. Just call Verizon and tell them you want "International Dialing" put on your phone. It's a free service. You just pay the $1.20/minute for roaming charges. I had a few dead spots..otherwise my Krazr worked great!

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,446 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

One warning, I had ATT put their International Calling on my phone, and felt pretty comfortable with the $1.65

per minute charge.

The phone worked fine in JA, but I got a bill when I got home that was out of this world, and I'm not talking several hundred dollars.

The kids used it for text messages and calls home

and I made work calls. Would be very careful using any US phones in JA.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
70 posts
9. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

Well i just got back from jamaica on saturdya night....had no problems what so ever with using my verizon phone there....not one area what so ever did i not have coverage...cant wait to see the bill however ...ouch...

i sent postcards from breezes last tuesdays the 13th...nobody has received any of them....hmmm....makes you wonder.....

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Verizon cell phones in jamaica

Postcards have always taken much longer than a week to arrive back at home for us.

I don't think I have ever had any show up inside of two weeks.