We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hows the golf course at BRB - is it a nice course in good...

houston, TX
12 posts
Save Topic
Hows the golf course at BRB - is it a nice course in good...

Wondering how the course is at BRB - I know there are other courses in Jamaica that are nicer than BRB but has anyone played the course and is it nice?

New Hope, PA
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hows the golf course at BRB - is it a nice course in good...

Just got back, I'm a 18 handicap. I liked the course, the tee boxes, fairways and greens were in good shape. It isn't the hardest course although the front is long. No water hazards and a little light on the sand traps. The caddy's weren't very impressive. I would give it a 3 out of 5.

The resort is a different story. Stay someplace else if you can.

houston, TX
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hows the golf course at BRB - is it a nice course in good...

What's wrong with the resort - did you not have a good time. What did you like about it and what did you not like?

New Hope, PA
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hows the golf course at BRB - is it a nice course in good...

If you've read the reviews they are fairly accurate. I'll break it down into three categories; Lodging, Food and Entertainment.

The resort is clean, the landscaping and beach are very nice. The rooms as you've probably read leave little to be desired. They are musty and run down, the hot water was hit or miss and the AC barely worked but since we were rarely in the room it wasn't a problem.

The food was ok; Martinos is good (certainly not great) the wine served is cheap (a reoccurring theme), the Starlight grill had a make it yourself stir fry which was very good, last night the buffet was awful, the breakfast buffet was good the omelets were very good, the dinner buffet was bad, the beach stand had Jerk Chicken that was very good. The food all in all was tolerable, I would have an omelet for breakfast, have the Jamaican jerk chicken for lunch and eat the stir fry or at Martinos at night (skipped late nigh food).

Entertainment: The problem, Golf was good, I tried to snorkel three times and they were out of equipment (keep in mind that you have to stand around for 15mins until someone comes around the equipment/towel shack), I wanted to water ski but the boat was broken, the day entertainment was sophomoric but to each his own, the nightly entertainment was good. The drinks were an absolute joke. The wine was awful and they only served red stripe for beer, the liquor (and this is the part that really upset me) was cut with water. The first night I had about 20 drinks and went to bed sober. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big drinker, I wanted to sip a margarita and sit by the pool but it was pointless.

Another issue was the Dunns river falls tour, it was really bad. About 20 people had to hold hands as we walked up the falls and every 100 feet the video camera was stuck in your face trying to get you to hoop and holler. They were selling the DVD back at the resort. If you want to do the falls I strongly recommend that you take a taxi and pay to get in yourself. I watched other people in groups of four having a great time while we walked up hand in hand.

I really didn't get too upset with all of these things until the last day when my wife and I got a day pass to Hedonism III. Wow, what a difference. The resort was 10 times nicer. The pools were great with swim up bars. We had two drinks and got so tipsy that we had to drink water for a couple of hours. Our next trip will be to Hedo.