We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

Salmon Arm, BC
4 posts
Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

Hello we are wondering what is the best excursions to do in the Runaway Bay area?? We are def thinking Dunns River Falls but would also like to take in the culture of Jamica on first trip and we know we need to leave the resort to do this. Any Advice?

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

Best thing to to research online 'google Jamaican trips/culture..........see what you would like to do and go outside gate and hire one of the Juta's (taxi). You can make a good price for the day andhe will take you whereever you want to go.

Also, and sorry cant remember company at the moment, but I am sure it is online, that you can book a day with a family;business person; farmer; whatever interests you. A couple, have been running it for about 10 years. I hear it is great.

ZIP LINING with Chukka tours is great; beautiful hiking to get to lines.

DUNNS FALLS

MAYFIELD FALLS (but I think far away from GRAN BAHIA.

Have fun. Internet is a wealth of info for planning.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

I recommend Chukka Tours- Ocean Safari

I can't tell you when I've had soo much fun.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
924 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

Dunns River...a must! absolutely gorgeous!

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

Dunns river you are doing

Dolphin cove a must if you like dolphins

Nine mile not far from runaway bay

Fern gulley

Browns town, not been but going this time, they have a market there to on certain days. Jamaican feel/vibe

Coyaba gardens apparently is good in ocho rios

Horse riding

Marthae brae rafting not far

Luminous lagoon not far away

How far do you want to travel to?

Salmon Arm, BC
4 posts
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone. As far as travel time, I am thinking the max is 2 hours from Runaway Bay. So we might do the Ricks Cafe Tour to watch the divers. We will be going to Dunns River Falls, but I broke my leg in October, so walking up might be hard on the leg.

I have looked over the tours the atv tour sounds fun, has anyone done that?

Also is it best to hire our own driver or should we just book in the hotel?

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

SalmonArmSunny,

The driver we use while there called moodie took us to negril for the day. The 7 mile beach is beautiful if you like beaches. They have water activities there you can do also.

Then we went to ricks cafe to see the cliff divers which you can do to but not from where the prof jamacians jump from. This is from a dead tree. An amazing experience and unbelievable that they climb this tree and jump off. its a must do.

Then we saw the sunset which was beautiful.

We have been on the coach booked through the rep at the hotel we stayed in before we met moodie. Will only us him now. It is more flexable and you get to do what you want, stay at places as long as you want and not feel rushed, which you do when there is a big group of you.

So a private driver for us is the way to go.

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

Yes, if you go outside the gate you can book any of the drivers waiting along the road. completely reputable and for a good price.

8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Best Excursion to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay