We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nine Mile

ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Nine Mile

well I have been reading a lot of this board and on people's expierences at the Starfish-where I will be staying.

But nobody seems to mention going to Nine Mile-I am told it is 2 hours away from Trelawny.

Can anybody give me any advice, information or share their expierence with me? TIA

Oh I am staying in the starfish may18-22. Just booked the trip yesterday. I'm 22 and my sister is 16 and my mother is taking us!

I think we will enjoy our trip and I am extremely excited!!

ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nine Mile

Oh darn-I just now did a search and found out a little info!

Sorry!

But I stil have a question. Jamaicasteve you said that the museum of Bob marley wasn't there! I read and saved the link of this "tour" thing I found and it made it seem there was some sort of museum or something there!

So any advice would be great! my mom and I loove Bob Marley and would be overwhelmed to visit this site. Also I thought I had read that they were removing the grave site and buring it elsewhere. Is this true?

And if we go to Nine Mile is it really a 2 hour ride? Should we just book a taxi or are there tours there? THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nine Mile

Hey there! I read that Rita Marley is having his remains removed and taken to Ethopia.

ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nine Mile

yes i ws just doing some more researching on the matter myself. It seems like a big conterversy(sp). Who knows when/if it will happen...

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nine Mile

The last I heard was that Bob Marley's remains are not being removed. They never planned on it, it was a hoax.

Yes, nine mile is could be 2 hours from Trelawny, depends on the driver.

I have been to both 56 Hope road in Kingston and Nine Mile. Both are extremely different. Hope road is where he lived as an adult, where he wrote his music and has a bunch of memorabilia and such, pretty intersting to look at. Nine mile is where he was born, and where he is laid to rest. You can go inside the house where he was born and go into his mouseleum. It has a totally different vibe around there.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nine Mile

Hey Reggae, so it's a 2 hour trip to Nine Mile? We are wanting to go this time. We'll be at Starfish in Trelawny. It looks like we would just go past Brownstown a little ways to get there.

What do you think?

Chuck

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nine Mile

Chuck, not sure on the exact time from your resort. I think it would be about 2 hours from Falmouth, Trelawny. It was about an hour and a half from nine mile to Runaway Bay. But it was very slow going thru the mountains and we stopped to buy fruit and such. I would get out my map tonight and figure out the distance, but the road winds so much in the mtns, you could never get an accurate estimate.

For a Bob Marley fan, it is definately worth the time.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nine Mile

Thanks for the help. It will be worth the trip for me. And I'm sure the drive will be enjoyable, since we will be in no hurry at all.

I read where the entrance fee is expensive - you wouldn't happen to know would you?

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nine Mile

I dont remember it being expensive. I think maybe $10 apiece or so. Let me look around, I may have my receipt at home somewhere.

The drive thru th Dry Harbor Mountains is indescribable. The roads make the rest of Jamaica's roads look like the Autobahn. Trust me, you are in for a ride like no other.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nine Mile

Greetings everyone.

I think Reggae is right Chuck, I believe the entrance is (was) $10us pp. Maybe it had gone up a bit, but it still won't be expensive.

Although Nine Mile is actually not really very "far" from Brownstown, the road between Brownstown and Nine Mile is (as Reggae said) like nothing you've ever seen. That being said, I think you can expect it to realistically take less than 2 hours to get there from Starfish. The drive from Starfish to Brownstown is less than an hour, and I would say 30-40 minutes from Brownstown to Nine Mile.

Worth the drive even if it were twice that if you ask me!

Blessings and respect to all.

Steve

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nine Mile

Oh one more thing luvaluva,

Regarding the transport, yes I STRONGLY suggest that you hire your own private cab. For many reasons. You don't run the chance of being grouped with people who may not have the same passion for Bob and his music as you do, You will be in total control of when you stop, even if it's just to take a photograph or stop to buy something along the side of the road etc. You can stay as long as you want wherever you want, and your driver will most likely make the experience that much more personal and special as you will be more or less on a one to one basis.

Stop to browse around a little in Brownstown as well... It's a great town with lots of commerce and a BEAUTIFUL Church.

Blessings and respect to you, You are going to have an AWSOME vacation.

Steve