We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia, Runaway Bay or Riu Negril ?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia, Runaway Bay or Riu Negril ?

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Jamaica on Oct. 13 for a week.

Where would be the best place for snorkelling offshore ?

Just to give you an idea...We are used to Holguin, Cuba (Playa Pesquero)

Also, I've been to the Breezes resort in Runaway Bay back in 1993, at that time, it was named Jamaica Jamaica and it was a real great place with plenty of snorkelling right in front of the hotel + a wonderful golf course across the street.

I would choose the Breezes again if not of the price....Too high for my actual budget. That's why we go in October and that's why we used to go to Cuba... I don't wanna spend more than 1300-1400$, Jamaica should be possible in October and with one of those 2 hotels...

Do you know if the Bahia is closed to the Breezes ?

Are we allowed to the golf course from the Bahia ?

If not, Expensive ?

Snorkelling IS our major activity in vacation...we like to explore at least twice a day so we don't wanna be forced to always pay to get to a snorkelling place. It must be available not too far from the shore.

Golf is a wonderful extra but not a must...tough I'd like my boyfriend (who's a real good player) to admire the beautiful view...so different from the Quebec ones !!!

I hope to hear from you...I need your advise !!!

Canvey Island...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia, Runaway Bay or Riu Negril ?

Hi Rob&Rox,

We have booked to go to The GBP and were off in a few days time, a little weary because of the reviews but it's been booked for a year now so im not going to change it. Anyways our friends got married at the Riu Negril 2 years ago and it was a fantastic holiday, if you like plenty to do with loads of dancing an playin games in the pool or on the beach then this will be the perfect holiday, the people are great and the food plentiful, and they constantly restock your fridge with beers and chilled drinks.

Sam

Stockbridge...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia, Runaway Bay or Riu Negril ?

Went to Breezes Runaway Bay 4 years ago and snorkeled off shore with no problem. I would also be interested if you can snorkel off shore at the Gran Bahia as hubby & I are thinking of a trip there also.

Stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay which is just down the way from Riu Negril and was not able to snorkel off shore. In fact, my traveling group and I "booked" a trip with a gentleman from the Office of Nature and were taken out to, if I remember correctly, a place called Orange Bay which was just north, around the peninsula from Riu Negril (you would not be able to walk there). We did the "excursion" with him twice. And I don't know if your heart is set on Jamaica, but in the Riveria Maya in Mexico, you can snorkel off the shore at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort.

3. Re: Gran Bahia, Runaway Bay or Riu Negril ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 06, 2009