We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from RDCC

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip from RDCC

My boyfriend and I will be at RDCC 5-17 to 5-24, so close yet so far away! We have book a tour to canoe down a river and swim with manatees and then come back and swim at YS falls. Has anyone done this? Any comments?

We are also planning to go to Dunn���s River Falls, Nine Mile, and Glistening Water. We were just going to get our own taxi to Dunn's River/Ocho Rios and Nine Mile instead of doing the tour packages because it seems cheaper. Any comments? Should we book tours or just go on our own?

Also the Glistening Water is the same as Luminous Lagoon, right? Where do you book these? From the hotel or do we need to do it before we leave. We really want to do this everyone we have talked to says it is great. Do they leave from RDCC or to you have to go some place else?

Also we both LOVE Red Stripe and are a little bummed to find out that they do not serve it. Is there a market/gas station nearby where we could get a case or so? Are there mini fridges in the cottages? Or could we find a cheap cooler somewhere to keep the Red Stripe cold?

Man this seems like a lot of questions, I am just getting gos excited that Jamaica is all I can think about!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks sooooo much in advance,

Ashley & Brandon

Illinois
Level Contributor
453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from RDCC

Hey Ashley and Brandon, I have read on the forum, that there's a grocery store and bar, directly across the street from the resort, where you can get red stripe, I know, I will be going there to get a supply. I am also going to Glistening water, I am not sure, but I read you can book right at the resort. Also My last stay in Ochio Rios, March 2004, I did the Mayfair River Walk, in my opinion is better the Dunns River, see if you could gets some info, on that exercusion, Ochios Rios is a short drive and you can get a shuttle, which is cheaper, and pay to do that own your own, The Mayfair River Walk is great, they serve you a delicious lunch, which is included, you have a nature walk after the river walk, and the staff, picks different fruits, that taste great, you just walk and there is different fruit, for the picking to eat, and the whole trip is very inexpensive. Well, I will see you guys there, I'll be there froem 5/18-5/25

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from RDCC

Luminous lagoon is the same as Glistening Waters - I think Glistening Waters is actually the name of the restaurant next to the Luminous Lagoon, but don't quote me! Anyhow, I'm sure it's fine to book once you get to the hotel. As for trips, I'm sure you'd be best - and certainly cheapest! - to take a taxi. Some trips like horseriding or tubing need to be done with the tour companies, but something like Dunn's River you can easily do by yourself.

As for Red Stripe, there is a supermarket just outside RDCC, and another one on the other side of the road, where I'm sure you can buy it. I'm afraid there are no fridges in the rooms though, and I don't know about any coolers. Leave the air-con on full blast and it shouldn't get too warm!

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from RDCC

Most of the tours can be booked right at the resort. I too would suggest booking a taxi for going to Dunns River/Ocho Rios area. If you would like one recommended I can certainly pass on a good name and # for you. We used this guy just outside of the resort gates and he charged us about 1/2 of what the ones inside were charging. Sounds like you have some good trips planned. We also did the Black River Safari which was fairly lenghty, but it included the YS Falls, which we felt were much nicer and less busy than Dunns River.

Enjoy your trip!

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from RDCC

Hey Thanks so much you guys....

shortandsweet801 - I will try to find info on the Mayfield river walk it sounds really fun. what day are you planning to go on the glistening waters tour maybe we can go the same night, we have something booked for the 19th (thur) but that is all, we won't book anything else till we get down there. Look for me and Brandon we will be the ones going across the street for the Red Stripe!!!!

Vix77 -

Hopefully we can find a way to put the Red Stripe right in front of the AC to keep it cold, thanks for the suggestion :)

jschweer-

I would like the name and number of the taxi guy you were talking about. We have heard that you can ask the staff and a lot of their husbands/brothers/etc will take you around for cheaper than a regular taxi also. You can email me if you like with the info @ amking428@gmail.com

Thanks again

Jamaican' me crazy

Ashley and Brandon

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from RDCC

Two quick ideas for the Red Stripe...

You can ask the bartender to keep some in his cooler behind the bar. Be SURE to tip him for keeping it away from others though!

Or if you want to keep some bottles cold in your room, put them in your sink or tub with some ice and cold water...

Blessings and respect to all.

Steve

Illinois
Level Contributor
453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from RDCC

I am not sure of when I will book the excursion. I will be there a day after you, Suggestion, leave your name and room nuber with on of the bartenders at the swing bar and I'll do the same,and I'll ask for you, I am not sure if I gave my name it's Tonisia. I know now I do want to do a day pass at Hedo 3, are you up for it ? I have read that you can get a real good deal for a pass to Hedo3. 20 more days til I am at RDCC.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from RDCC

Thanks Steve that would be great if the bartender would keep a few Red Stripe for us. we would definitly tip extra for this. yeah we have used ice in the sink before, that should work

Tonisia - we will leave our name and room number at the swing bar, we might be interested in a day at hedo 3? there is soooo much stuff we want to do in jamaica that we are already talking about another trip and we haven't even been yet :) !!!

We'll see you there 19 days and counting......

ashley

Illinois
Level Contributor
453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from RDCC

I am excited, this will be my 8th trip to Jamaica, first to RDCC. I am counting down and being in this forum, is getting me more anxious. But I will make sure they have my name and room number at the swing bar. I was in another forum, and I saw your age. I am 26 years old and my cousin is 28 years old. I know that week, will be a week of drinking and partying for me. I will be celebrating graduation and my birthday.

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip from RDCC

Hi Ashley and Brandon. Here is the name and # of a great taxi driver. Donald Brown at 867-831-7274

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Susanne