We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Items to Barter...

Williamsville, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Items to Barter...

I heard you can barter for items with many of the local vendors. Does anyone have any experience with this? What kind of items may not be too pricey up here, but have a lot of worth down there? I heard clothing with the American flag on it is popular (Tommy Hilifger Apparell etc.) any ideas?? Three More days!!!!

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
847 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Items to Barter...

While I was at the resort I played poolside games and won bottles of alcohol. We won't use them and the employees are forbidden to take them, but I was told I could barter them at the huts. I never did, but could have. Anything that is typically American is really loved.

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Items to Barter...

Sports hats and shirts.. and like me allot of the women love shoes.. I've given the shoes off my feet before..

Atlanta
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Items to Barter...

We always bring t-shirts, hats, etc. as gifts for the staff. Also, pencils and school supplies for their kids, kids we see out on tours, plus lotions and cosmetics for the maids. Much more satisfying in my opinion, then trying to barter items. The best item to barter with is CASH. The best thing is that it does not take up much room in your luggage. In reality, the vendors are trying to put food on the table for their families, not score a Tommy shirt.

Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Items to Barter...

We just got back on 4/6 from BRB. Per recommendations on this site, brought lots of personal products and also plastic gift bags. We assembled gifts for staff that made our vacation so perfect. The ladies in Jamaica LOVE Bath and Body products. In each gift bag we included 2-3 bath products, lip glosses, and small leather wallets I purchased at $1 stores with a $5 to $10 tip tucked inside. Please include a note with your names and room number...such as "thanks Diana for your wonderful attention" or "to the housekeeping staff, thanks for taking good care of our room". This way, the staff is able to accept the gifts. The gentlemen love pro sport baseball style hats. With some care, a $5 to $10 bill can be tucked inside of those, just make sure you tell the employee so they dont lose the $. We distributed about 10 gifts to the staff who we bonded with and it made our day to see and hear the genuine appreciation from the warmest, most joyful people I have ever met!!!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Items to Barter...

Although I didn't do any bartering in Jamaica, I spent more than 22 years abroad, in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa and even though I didn't smoke myself, I always kept about 5 cartons of American cigarettes with me, usually Marlboros. You'd be amazed what doors a carton of Marlboros will open, especially places where cigarettes were far more expensive than in the U.S. and where American cigarettes were rare. I also gave the occasional gift of U.S. bourbon to someone I really wanted to help me out. The oddest bartering item I ever used was in Turkey, where the demand for men's briefs, B.V.D., Fruit of the Loom, or Jockey was unbelieveable. I could get a full meal with all the beers and Rocha I could drink or a shave, haircut, massage, and steam bath for a package of 3 pairs of underware.

6. Re: Items to Barter...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:11 am, June 28, 2005
New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Items to Barter...

In addition to what's written above, I just want to second what Tiger mentioned about using cash. People appreciate gifts, and an exchange of gifts in addition to shopping with cash is beneficial to all imo.