We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba at runaway bay

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scuba at runaway bay

My wife and I are both certified and are hoping to do plenty of diving when we go in April (along with as many other activities as we can handle). Though Cozumel probably would a better choice for diving, last time we went there we weren't certified and were sick most of the trip. Besides we couldn't pass up the Spring special. This will be our first warm water experience. Northern California is no picnic to dive in so we are excited. I have been trying to get more specific info about the diving but can't seem to get much so far. So here goes....

Do the dive trips get filled up fast every day, and what is the best bet for getting on each day?

Are the shore dives worth while? It looks like you can get to some interesting stuff with just a short surface swim.

How deep are some of the deeper dives? and how often do they take you on deep dives?

I am hoping some fellow divers might give me some input on this so as to be prepared ahead of time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or answers.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Scuba at runaway bay

RockSurfer... you're welcome :)

I don't recall if you mentioned when you were going... but if you would please post back up on this thread about how your trip was and your dive experience...

Very cool about seeing the area I'm referring to on a satellite photo.

FDR also has a dive shop... we have the contact info and prices for them on the following link... www.TakeMeToJamaica.com/DivingPage.html

To Ravenswng... I think they do allow snorkelers to go and snorkel while others dive... it will also depend on how many people are on the dive... but I would imagine that you can get something worked out...

Did I spell "snorkelers" correctly?

Edmonton, AB
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Scuba at runaway bay

Scuba at Runaway Bay was excellent. We stayed at Breezes Runaway Bay and the diving was all included. I have dove in many places in the Caribbean and I think Jamaica was excellent. We had no problem getting booked for diving each day. I dove nine times during my week stay and thoroughly enjoyed it. The dive masters were excellent and very professional. All dives were off the dive boat, but we did swim right into shore a couple times. The canyon was very nice. We were down to 90 feet a couple of times. Sea life inlcuded a large turtle, lobster, crab, blow fish, spotted yellow rays and small sting rays. We left the resort each morning at 9:00 am and returned from our two tank dives by 11:00 am. The boat ride to any of the sites was not more than five minutes. There were a fair number of small jelly fish in the water but it didn't ruin the diving. They had a plane and ship wreck at about 40-65 feet. It was OK but nothing spectacular. I myself enjoyed the canyon.

California
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Scuba at runaway bay

Sweet!

We are going in a month (Apr 23 - 28)

Looking forward to it. My wife really wants to see a turtle, so I hope that happens.

Thanks for the input!

24. Re: Scuba at runaway bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 27, 2009