We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yahimba

Seattle, Wa
3 posts
Save Topic
Yahimba

My girl and I are thinking about a trip to Yahimba in Jan. We just had a couple of concerns that maybe some of you could help with.

How difficult is it to get there from Kingston Airport (norman manley)?

Is is cheap to get around to all the sites (blue lagoon, fishermans etc..) from yahimba?

And how expensive is the food and alcohol in the area? Is there many options?

Thanks

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yahimba

I'd say it's about 2.5 hours from Kingston via the coastal route, assuming you have a car or take a private taxi and don't hit traffic in Kingston.

It's actually easy to get around to those places as Long Bay is on the main road and so is Blue Lagoon and all of the beaches as well as the town of Port Antonio. Reich Falls and the Rio Grande are inland a bit but a taxi will get you there. For anything along the main you can take route taxis very cheaply or use a driver that I'm sure the Yahimba folks can help you with. Not sure what Fisherman's is?

Right by Yahimba there is Cool Runnings beach bar/rest which had, when we visited, "normal" US prices, in Long Bay town there are local spots that are less $.

Long Bay is one of the most incredible beaches in Jamaica in my opinion...a mile of mostly empty white sand lined with palm trees...hardly any people, some days fairly calm, most days big waves.

Yahimba is RIGHT on the sand, literally steps from the water.

Seattle, Wa
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yahimba

Thanks for all the help!! I really appreciate it. The main thing that is holding up our trip right now is transport from the Airport in Kingston to port antonio or yahimba. Yahimba quoted a price of $150(US) one way which seems a bit steep to me. Any suggestions as far as buses or transfer services go?

Can't wait to go. this will be our first time to Jamaica and we want to stay off the "beaten path" Yahimba looks perfect, I'm a surfer kid form california so big waves in the area are always inticing...

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yahimba

It is expensive (and fairly long, more so from MoBay) to get to Long Bay from Kingston...that's a lot of the reason the area is not overrun with tourists and part of what is so great about it.

You can do it on public transport but frankly it can be dodgy. Someone else may be able to give better advice but what I've heard is that the best thing is to get a private taxi from the airport to Halfway Tree or at least out of downtown and then take public buses/route taxis from there. Some will take the bus from downtown Kingston but unless you've been before or are accustomed to backpacking around the world, I wouldn't do it, myself, alone.

Have a look at this trip report, it talks about route taxi options along the main there:

www.marcline.com/main/content.php?content.8

...looks like they took a private taxi from Kingston, though.

You might try a new post for "getting from Kingston to Long Bay" or some such so some of the regular posters that live in JA can advise you.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yahimba

Sorry FlightOnUSC,

I did not realize that your questions had been answered.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147314-i1534-k884…

5. Re: Yahimba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:26 am, August 25, 2009