We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

London
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

I never imagined that a forum would be there with so much information about Port Antonio. We (my girlfried and I) almost booked a 7-day holiday package to Negril until we bumped into this forum and now we don't want to go anywhere else than Port Antonio. The only thing that troubles us is that no one appears to have been there in October. Is there a reason for this? We heard that then is the hurricane season, but also that this side of the island is not much affected. Is this true? It would be great if someone could reassure us that the place will be just as nice in October.

Kingston
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

The hurricane season technically lasts from 1 June to 30 November though traditionally Jamaica receives its worst weather in September and October. Hurricanes will affect all the island but it is usually the south coast, Kingston etc, that escape most lightly as the mountains can take much of the power out of the storms.

October is Jamaica's wettest month and you will be guaranteed rain over any 7 day period, but this can last a few hours and when the sun comes out it dries fast.

I would not say do not travel during this time as you will still have a fantastically romantic time and the storms can be pretty exhilarating, though I haven't been through a hurricane yet! Treavel is much cheaper in October to reflect this but my advice is to postpone to November if you can.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

to add to the previous post....Port Antonio receives the highest precipitation on the island....thus the lushest part. IRIE.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

Hello MichaelZ,

It is unfortunate that not even the most experienced weatherperson can predict what it will be like during the particular week that you will be in PA.

I have been in October and it only rained a few hours per day.

I would rather be in PA with rain, than in most other parts of the world.with bright sunshine.

Please go and enjoy your holiday. You will not be dissapointed.

PA has so many places to see and things to do that are right in that area without having to drive for hours to get there.

Have fun!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

We were in St. Mary in October 2004 and had only short periods of rain each day. Only on one day did we get zero, and that was the day we spent in Portland :)

I agree...a day in PA with rain beats a sunny day anywhere else :)

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

We were in St. Mary in October 2004 and had only short periods of rain each day. Only on one day did we get zero, and that was the day we spent in Portland :)

I agree...a day in PA with rain beats a sunny day anywhere else :)

Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

I Lived in Port Antonio for a year... the weather does not have much of a change....it pretty much rains year round however it normaly does not rain for longer the a few hours then stop and even when it rains its warm and refreshing.... I will Be in Portie from Oct 29-Nov 6th... feel free to email me with any questions......

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

Hello MichaelZ,

Please do not ever give up your quest for info on Port Antonio.

It will all be worth it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147314-i1534-k776…

latimes.com/travel/…

ENJOY!

8. Re: Port Antonio - Jamaica in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio