We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mocking Bird Hill

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
7 posts
Save Topic
Mocking Bird Hill

I hear that Hotel Mocking BIrd Hill is really beautiful and the staff is great - But the manasgers are a pain

Washington DC
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

Can somebody tell me if its worth visiting?

I'm really into eco- friendly intimate lodging. But I want my privacy. Is this the place for me?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

Hi

from what i hear Mockingbird is a beautiful place... isn't own by the ex island record guy that did some of Bob Marley's cds..?

for eco-friendly in portland, you might want to look into www.zioncountry.com, we only heard good things about this place so far on this board and online, in the news etc... maybe too rustic for what you are looking for tho, but that's where we are going our first week.

then we will be spending our second week at the moon san villa www.moonsanvilla.com .

Line

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

Mockingbird Hill: Not owned by Chris Blackwell. Check the trip reports here

on tripadvisor for a full spectrum of

opinion on location, food, managers, cost,

value. Other options: Goblin Hill, Rio Vista,

Belmont,TiAmo and Tranquility villas, the villas on the Blue Hole/Lagoon, Ivanhoe/Palmer guestshouses.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

you are right, i was mistaking it with the Strawberry hill villas.

Mockingbird seems nice, we will certainly go there to eat.

Washington DC
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

Well I called up the place and the people seemd friendly and helpful, so I think I'll check it out,

I'll give a full report when I get back, Cheers

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

and take some photos if you can!! :)

apparently you can view beautiful birds there.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

Hello nellythecat,

I think that the two ladies who own and run the Mocking Bird Hill are most professional and run a lovely hotel.

It is not easy to please everyone as we are all different.

The natural beauty and setting of this special place is well worth going to see and if you can, to even stay there.

Dining there and the setting is also a unique experience.

But alas, even this gets some criticisms.....

So each person has to go and form their own opinion.

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

A DECIDEDLY contrarian view to JBG: Read those trip reports here very carefullly.

Washington DC
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

Tell me Tivertonhouse have you ever been to that hotel. I would really like to hear your firsthand experience.

Cheers

Midwest
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mocking Bird Hill

I have been there, sure they may have a good view, but so does Goblin hills, and you don't have to deal with the crabby owners of Mocking Bird... My wife and I WERE going to stay there this Feb. but after dealing with the owners for about 20 min. we decided to go to Goblin hills, best decision we made. We are planning on going back next year (07) and defiantly will be staying at Goblin...

What's nice about Goblin is that they cook the meals to your liking, you can pick out your food or have the housekeeper do it. We loved going with our housekeeper Verona to the towns market once a week, what a great experience... If you want privacy Goblin Hills has tons of it, as it sits on 12 acres. As for the food at Mocking Bird, WAY overpriced and plain. We ate all week at Goblin for a little over $100 (US) and we ate like kings, Jerk Chicken, Lobster, fresh fish etc.. One meal at Mocking bird was almost $75 (US).

As we traveled around Port Antonio we noticed that this town was the spot years ago and never really regained the notoriety that it once had. So if you are looking for anything 5 star, Porty isn't the place. While we were there we checked out at least 10 other villas, for the money Goblin cant be beat... So if you stay at Mocking Bird, at least have a back up plan, just in case... The last thing you want to deal with when on vacation is a crappy place to stay. Good Luck!!

I have more private details about Mocking Bird but chose not to detail it here, if you need to hear more let me know, I can email it to you.

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio