We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental and car seats

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Claverack, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
car rental and car seats

My husband and I and our 15 month old are traveling to the Port Antonio area this March. We are flying into MoBay and are thinking of renting a car and driving ourselves out. We will be staying at Goblin Hill. My big question is whether or not we should bring our own car seat or rent one from the car rental company. Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, can we get by with a smaller car in PA considering the roads and such?

Any advice is appreciated, as this is our first trip to Jamaica!

Claverack, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: car rental and car seats

Great! Thank you. I am looking forward and am happy to have the opportunity to enjoy this part of Jamaica on my first trip.

Claverack, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: car rental and car seats

Warren did finally contact me. He mentioned renting a car from locals. My first reaction is I am better off / safer going through a regular car rental co. Any thoughts on this, experience? Thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
958 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: car rental and car seats

I know people who have gone this route, it would be a way for you to save money because renting a car in PA is expensive at least from my research (Island doesn't have an office so you would incur a drop fee, Eastern is there but they were a bit expensive for my wallet), with renting local I'm not sure how the liability aspect of the rental is handled.

Claverack, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: car rental and car seats

Yeah, that's the part I am wondering, the liability/insurance and also what shape the car would be in. Hmmm... Anyone out there with experience on this? Thanks for the heads up on the drop fee. Maybe we really should just rent in MoBay and drive ourselves...

Texas
Level Contributor
958 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: car rental and car seats

For your first visit it may be best to use a guide/driver to get around and once at your hotel if you want to make a short trip in town or out for dinner you can either grab a route taxi or ask the hotel to call someone for you. It would be less nerve wracking and much safer.

As far as the condition of a local vehicle, from what others have said they haven't had any issues. I would imagine you would need a local to arrange this for you though.

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: car rental and car seats

Do not rent from a local. You have no idea who you're renting from!!

. Better yet, hire a driver. Costs more but it's worth it...his car or van will have working seatbelts...can't say that for all the cars on the island. Don't plan on taking a taxi for short road trips....that car seat is going to be an issue unless you pay the driver for a private trip.

Bring your own carseat, dont' rent, don't use used, bring your own.

17. Re: car rental and car seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio