We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

After reading the reviews about Long Bay, Jamaica I knew that I MUST MAKE A COMMENT. I always stay at Coconut Isle Villa, owned by Ted Sims, I have stayed at Seascape Villa, now owned by the Sinclairs, and SeaDream owned by the Waterhouse's. I visit the area at least every 3 months since 2000. I MUST INFORM all of those who read this post that the community of LONG BAY, Portland, Jamaica is once again PEACEFUL and SAFE. There were a slew of robberies in 2009 that devastated the community. Long Bay is known for its beautiful beachfront property, beautiful people, lush terrain, good food and non-tourist feel! The thief's were caught, actually while I was in the area. The community demanded that the crimes be solved. NO ONE EMPLOYED at any of the guesthouses were apart of the robberies. So if you have not had the fantastic opportunity to stay in this area now is the time. www.coconutisle.com www.seascapevilla.com www.seadream.com. If you are interested in finding out more about the area feel free to contact me at "Friends of Long Bay";

email:cjoyinnertainment@gmail.com Thanks, Sharifah

Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

Waves are dependent on the weather, esp. the trade winds. Don't be fooled by some of the photographs, there will be plenty of waves.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

Long Bay and the surrounding area are considered Jamaica's "surf spot". When we were there last winter the waves were decent by Jamaican standards for surfing (not by NoCal standards or Mexico for that matter - there are better places on the planet to surf).

We'll be there this weekend and we're excited about it.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

rastagirl-if you run into a couple Dirk and Pat...Pat's my good friends mother who lives there half time...tell them I said hello :)

enjoy! I hope to get back that way again soon!

Portland and Treasure beach are where I;ve seen waves...and yes by Jamaican standards...though the last few Februarys Negril has had some!

Mishawaka, Indiana
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

What did you find out?! We also love some "waves" to the ocean and while I love Jamaica we miss the active waters of Mexico... Any luck finding a happy blend of waves and Jamaica.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,362 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

Waves? Long Bay most always, Boston Bay often but not always, Bull Bay pretty consistent (enough to be a regular surf spot) , a couple of beaches in Treasure Beach sometimes.

Pretty big waves at beaches near Robins Bay and Strawberry Fields also...

Edited: 2:53 pm, August 12, 2014
Soufriere, St. Lucia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

Long Bay is a special place. If you go leave yourselves at home and allow the adventurer to be free. Your soul will be relaxed, your worries will drown in the crystal clear water and the people will open your mind to a history that remains intact and free from the distortion of what you think Jamaica is or could be. Rent a car and drive to Long Bay from Montego Bay or Kingston. With the new main road the trip from Montego Bay has been cut in half from 8 hours to 4. The drive from Kingston is shorter (2 hours), but either drive will set the stage for an amazing Jamaican experience which will bring you back again and again. From 2003 to 2014, I have visited Long Bay 13 times. Each visit reveals true Jamaica at a Jamaican pace. Soon come. Whether with Ted at Coconut Isle Villa or David at Seascape, expect a trip no booking agent can advertise. Blessings.

17. Re: visiting Long Bay, Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 29, 2015